Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   George Linder-back in the day (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47012-george-linder-back-day.html)

T2x 04-04-2003 05:25 PM

George Linder-back in the day

1 Attachment(s)
The scene below is from the Havasu World outboard championships in 1967......... The wooden Vee bottom (third from the bottom) is an 18' Eltro....and one of the fastest boats in the race. The driver.......... George Linder.

The Challenger/Shadow 21's were direct decendents of this ungainly non- constant vee.

Thanks to Ron HIll for this vintage picture on Scream and Fly.

T2x..............Just keepin the faith

Magicfloat 04-04-2003 05:45 PM

Neat photo,notice the Switzer Wings there too. One of those might be your current Wing. And Dave Packer,wonder where he is now?And Bill Hill,Jr. my Alabama neighbor, think he died sometime back.Maybe it's time for a new thread here of this type of racing history.

Magicfloat 04-04-2003 10:54 PM

After 30+ years,still nothing better.I'm lucky to own a couple of 21 Hammond/Challengers from the old days.

Magicfloat 04-04-2003 11:09 PM

Haven't picked up the Switzer yet but it's paid for and waiting for me. Interesting note is that the 1967 Havasu race T2x mentioned was won by Bob Switzer in his Wing powered by a pair of 1967 Merc 1100 Quincy Stackers, just like I bought from a personal friend of Bob. Could that motor be one of the ones on the Wing?I doubt I could confirm that but it is an interesting thought. Probrably should send the Switzer to you for restoration,since you would make it nice and never run it:):) But if you did run it you would be arrested for noise,a Quincy Stacker Merc will shatter windows at 1000 yards away, but they sure sound sweet to me at full song.

Magicfloat 04-04-2003 11:47 PM

Yeah,but that's a little one. Mine is bigger,LOL. Inline six with 3 chrome stacks and full black wrap around cowl. If I could figure out how to hook up this new scanner I bought I could post a photo but I just can't make it work.I'm trying to get into the 21st century but just don't know how

Magicfloat 04-05-2003 12:02 AM

Yeah,that's what Ronnie Milsap said, and I agree.I'm just tryin to adapt to a world that's passing me by,but it's still fun.

T2x 04-05-2003 02:21 PM

Magic:

Dave Packer..."The Flyin' Hawaiian"......from New York State..(It's a long story). unfortunately passed away about 15 years ago. He had cancer as I recall......

Great guy.....

T2x

T2x 04-06-2003 01:16 PM

Thanks..... Too Old.....

searace 04-06-2003 02:05 PM

George Linder is one of the true greats. by the way, his daughter and son in law live up here about 30 min from Hawk Power.

T2x 04-07-2003 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again to Ron Hill.....another Linder gem from the old days. By the way, this boat led the Around Long Island Marathon in 1967...for the first 40% of the race......ahead of Billy Sirois in the factory Mercruiser 32 Bertram "Ol Yellar".....and Aronow...and Wishnick.....and Rautbord.....and Brownie....and Odell Lewis....and, and, and. Those Eltros were serious competitors.

I ran the boat in the Milwaukee-Chicago-Milwaukee race the following year.......with (gasp) factory Evinrudes.... (I lost my mind for a while);) .....

By the way....all you "manly men".....I ran the race......alone in the boat!

T2x