Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Car Fax ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47014-car-fax.html)

dyno 04-04-2003 06:09 PM

Car Fax ?

anyone use it on a regular basis? is it worth the $20

SABER28 04-04-2003 07:24 PM

dyno, being in the car biz, i can tell you car fax is a waste. if you want more info pm me or gibson, i'm too lazy to type it all out:D

Cord 04-04-2003 07:26 PM

I did a search on a truck that I had purchased. It didn't tell me any more than what I already knew. While I was subscribed, I also did a search on my current truck. It listed the one major accident that it had been in, but it didn't provide any more information than that. Honestly, if you are really good at looking a vehicle over, you proably don't need the service. Don't forget, if you are buying a vehicle from a dealer, they must provide you with the prior owner. I've had some really fascinating conversations with the prior owners.

dyno 04-04-2003 07:31 PM

Cord really they have to tell you the prior owner? that could help!

dreamer 04-04-2003 07:46 PM

wothless all it will tell you is if it has a clean title or salvage title witch the seller must devulge by law... the ads make it seem as if it will tell you the whole history

Cord 04-05-2003 08:08 AM

Well, I must admit that I don't know the law. What I do know, is that everytime I've requested it, the dealer has promptly provided me with a name & number of the prior owner. Mind you, I've only bought in Wisconsin, so Michigan may be different. You'll find out more from the prior owner than from car fax. For example; I was once buying a car up from a dealer in Wisconsin. I called the prior owner, who turned out to be in Florida. They had traded the car off and it was badly sun faded. When the colors of the pin striping didn't match up between what they had and what the car currently had, I looked at it closer. Sure enough, the car had been repainted. The owners also had a couple of items that went with the car, that they had forgotten to include with the trade-in. They were nice enough to send them to me. I was also able to get a complete condensed history of the car and found that it had been quite reliable, but that they just like to rotate their vehicles. That's a very nice piece of mind to have. When I was purchasing another vehicle, I could see that it had been in an accident. I called the prior owner and discovered that the truck was nearly totalled and that the body shop went out of business shortly after the repairs were made. That explained the misfitting panel. I should have passed on that one.

Playn 04-05-2003 08:23 AM

Used it once and didn't think it was worth it.

mcollinstn 04-05-2003 03:09 PM

Carfax offers you a $5000 guarantee on what they call a "clean car". If they show it as a clean title and no rollback and you discover differently, it's a check for $5000 to you.

SABER28 04-05-2003 07:19 PM

carfax cannot tell you legally the owners name or address, only the city and state where it was registered.

BTW their $5000 is so full of exclusions it's a joke:rolleyes: