Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI >

coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Notices

coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Old 04-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Sammy

Trust me regardless if it's documented or not you should put the MC numbers on. Even though my big boat is documented I dispaly my MC numbers.I can't tell you how many times my know it all friends have been pulled over. To me it's just not worth the hassel. I would suspect that it's going to be even worse this season due to the current world events.

Sam

Old 04-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 36 Outlaw in Kentucky,at that time it was already documented,just had to have it transfered to my name.Then I registered it in Ill. even though I live and boat in Mi. ,big cost savings by reg. in Ill. versus Mi All I have on the boat is the name of the boat on the side,hailing port on transom,and Ill. registration stickers on bow,No hassles in 3 summers of boating all over Lake Mi.Plus the trailer is liscensed in Mi.
Steve
Old 04-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered

I have never been hassled. In IL we are required to display the state registration stickers on the corners of the transom somewhere near the boat name and port. Documentation is a bonus if you ever leave the country and there is no additional charge each year. The IL state registration ar also a little less expensive if you document.

Steve
Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

sam, does the secretary state know that your boat is documented? did not think you could have multiple registrations. i agree with the mc numbers, we boat by the coast gaurd station here all the time, have been stopped before and dont want to relive the hassle.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Registered

Michigan requires registration of the boat even though it may be documented, which means you're going to pay the sales tax unless you can prove the boat was already registered in your name in another state. But if that's the case you're still going to pay the registration fee.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:16 AM
ROUGHSTUFF

Crazyhorse is right!

I just received this e-maim for Michigan Secretary of State.

Due to state and federal laws, watercraft that are documented by the U.S. Coast Guard are not eligible for a Michigan watercraft title. However, documented vessels are required to obtain a Michigan watercraft registration at the regular fee. The Michigan registration (MC) number does not have to be displayed on the vessel; however, the Michigan watercraft decal must be displayed on each side of the forward half of th hull as high above the waterline as practical.

Documentaion papers must be shown. Also, if ownership is transferring, 6% sales tax is due on the purchase price of the vessel. Ouch!

Old 04-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

Do yourself a favor and GET A TITLE in Michigan. If you happen to let your C.G. documentation expire you'll need this to sell the boat! This also permits the next owner to decide for himself whether he wants to redocument. All three of the documented vessels I've had in Michigan have been titled.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Registered

Now days documentation advantages are basically for the bank or mortgage co. (easier to repo). You still have to pay the sales tax and register the boat in your state. If you want to, for a fifteen dollar fee you can get the boat released from documentation. It will take about two weeks. Just call the doc. center for info at 800-799-8362.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

The situation seems to vary a lot from state to state. While the documentation procedures don't change, you have to watch out for user's fees and sale tax charges (scams to me..). For example, in Maryand, you only have to pay $10 for a 2-year user sticker, but if you bought the boat out of state within the previous three years, you have to pay the difference in sales tax rates. Check your state boating/DNR regulations carefully.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered

thanks for all the info.

scott

Quick Reply: coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.