If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1. #21
    Platinum Member Platinum Member KAAMA's Avatar
    My Boats:
    A boat?....What boat??? How about a galvarnized warsh tub wit a toranady strapped own da rear!
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Western Michigan
    Good thread
    Thank God for the U.S. Marines!
    ...I'm still a student.

  2. #22
    Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Lafayette, IN
    Originally posted by Payton
    In Indiana we still have to have the state regestration, just a sticker, no numbers.. That is so they can get their property tax. There is no sales tax paid when it is Coast guard regestered.

    That's a nice savings in Indiana.
    Wow! This is interesting.
    I'm planning on going to License branch next week to do the title and registration stuff on the boat I just bought. SO, if I go the CG route, I won't have to pay the over $4000 just in sales tax alone I have planned on?

  3. #23
    My Boats:
    46 Black Thunder
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    I've had documented boats in MI for a few years, never been hasseled about not having MC #'s. I have played by the rules and did have my registration sticker. Usually, someone is going to get sales tax. If it is lower in the state where you buy the boat pay it there, make sure to get proof to show the SOS.

  4. #24
    Registered doright's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1986 Formula 357SR Kaama
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Reading all those rules convinced me of one thing. This documentation business is one royal pain in the ass and a damned expensive one too.

    All you've gotta' do is transact the sale in a no-sales-tax state and register it there. Then move to whatever state you want to be in permanently and transfer the registration.

    In Ms it costs $36 for a two year sticker and you do it on a post card. None of this USCG hassle. Stickers for boats under 35 feet are $10.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Some changes to the Coast Gaurd on Lake Michigan
    By Waterfoul in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
  2. history of the coast gaurd on ch 269
    By yss in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
  3. Coast Gaurd Safety Class
    By GO4BROKE in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 08:13 PM
  4. Coast Gaurd Festival 2002!
    By MIdnightRider in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2002, 09:50 AM
  5. Passed the Coast Gaurd Test!!!!
    By Waterfoul in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2002, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.