coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI >

coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Notices

coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Old 04-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

In the process of buying a boat from MO that is coast gaurd documented. documentation is being changed over to me. anyone know how this pertains to state of michigan license, sales tax ect? not even sure what a documented boat is. little that i have read makes it seem like you can't have a boat reg. federally and also state reg.? but then what do you do about MC numbers? seems like you would get pulled over alot with out them.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:54 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

YZ go thru this site thoroughly you should have all your answers.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm
Old 04-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Indiana we still have to have the state regestration, just a sticker, no numbers.. That is so they can get their property tax. There is no sales tax paid when it is Coast guard regestered.

That's a nice savings in Indiana.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I documented my boat with Coast Guard two years ago in Michigan. Was told that I do not need and should not have MC numbers but still need to pay for state registration as well as sales tax. I kept my MC numbers on anyways so that I wouldn't be pulled over all of the time...

What kind of boat did you get and we'll look for you when we head "up north"!

Old 04-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Registered

not quite final yet, but looks like it will be a 99 36 outlaw. just got the trailer for it today, yea i know maybe should get boat first than trailer. but what the hey.

i was wondering about the mc #'s, since it will be documented in my name by the time i get it to michigan, i wonder if they will even issue them to me.

give a holler when your up this way.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:36 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

I am in the processs of documenting my new boat so I call the Michigan Secretary of State. I was told that if the boat was documented with the coast guard it should not and could not be titled by the state of Michigan. Therefore, you are not required to register the boat. Sales Tax?? I was told the US Coast Guard informs the states of boats which have been documented.

I just hope the people at the Secretary of State know what they are talking about!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

see that is what i read somewhere, can't find it in the site that GLH linked, but I know I read that if a boat was documented by the coast guard (nationally) by law it could not than be state registered.

just dont know what that means when you are one the water.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Registered

anybody know about the rules in illinois on a new boat ?
i was told you have to pay sales tax... if you documented or not ?

any way around the tax ???????
Thanks
Don
Old 04-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

A-B-C’s of Vessel Documentation
Very simply put...documentation of a vessel is a national form of registration. It dates back to the 11th Act of the First Congress and is one of the oldest functions of the U.S. Government. There are many different and separate reasons to document a pleasure boat or commercial vessel.

Generally it is because the ownership of documented vessels is easier to trace through the United States Coast Guard Abstract of Title. This federal system provides a greater assurance of title over state registrations because of the USCG rigid standards in chain-of-title and paperwork procedures. Once initial documentation is complete, a six or seven digit Official Number is issued to the vessel which must be permanently affixed to the structure of the hull and a Certificate of Documentation is issued to the owner(s).

The additional and perhaps most important reason to document a vessel is because most lending institutions will require USCG Documentation to allow them to record a Preferred Ship’s Mortgage. This instrument provides the greatest protection for the lender because it is enforceable throughout the United States and some foreign countries.

Recreational Vessels: If the vessel travels to foreign waters, the Certificate of Documentation facilitates clearance with foreign governments and provides certain protection by the U.S. flag. Also documentation eliminates the need for state registration numbers on the bow.

found this on another site
Old 04-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION - Issued by the Coast Guard this is a document that proves ownership of a specific vessel. Similar to a state title it shows vessel name, hailing port and the owners home and address, along with any endorsements or restrictions. The certificate is good for one year and renewed at no charge.

found this too.

dont know what it all means though

Quick Reply: coast gaurd documentation of boat in MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.