Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Cable Modem Users: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47127-ot-cable-modem-users.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 04-06-2003 06:50 PM

OT: Cable Modem Users:

Has anyone notice a drop off in their cable modem speeds?

I feel as though Comcast has just put a cap on my download speed of 200kbps :eek:

Every test I run is coming up consistently between 195 to 198kbps.

Others I have talked to seem to be having a slow down as well.

I went to Circuit City today which is only a 1/4 mile from my house and is on the same system. I ran the same test there and they are running from 1100 to 1500 kbps. Several employees told me they are on a cable modem. I am starting to think they are tweaked systems or they are on a T-1 line.

Comcast advertises that they are faster than DSL's 640kbs, but they straight out told me that they don't guarantee any speed.

I may just be heading back to DSL unless they pony-up the extra bandwidth I am paying for....:rolleyes:

HyperBaja 04-06-2003 07:08 PM

My cable has been really slow too lately...Where do you test the bandwith? I just thought it was more people getting cable around here...

US1 Fountain 04-06-2003 07:18 PM

I noticed my Hotmail now takes awhile to load the last couple of weeks. Most others are not too bad, but was better when I 1st got it 2 yrs ago. Where/how do you test the speed?

Clay Washington 04-06-2003 07:39 PM

Speed Test

Bandwidth Speed Test

I got 1.2MegaBits/sec with my SBC DSL! :D

It says that I can download a 1Meg file in 7.2 seconds (which sounds about right).

However, it also says that these tests are run from a server in San Antonio and I live in Austin. So, I guess you could say that this is a SPEEDO reading (not GPS)! ;)

gdfatha 04-06-2003 07:41 PM

I have noticed my Time Warner AOL broadband has slowed up. I might go back to DSL...

Tinkerer 04-06-2003 08:12 PM

I got 2.6 Megabits per second just now. I have COMCAST.
What are you paying for cable to computer only. I am thinking on droping Digital cable and getting Direct TV.

Ted G 04-06-2003 08:13 PM

I just got 1.2 M on my Comcast cable. But my OSO download speeds are kinda slow:confused:

Playn 04-06-2003 08:15 PM

mine tested at 1.6megabits/sec. Comcast

wwwTOPDJcom 04-06-2003 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what happend when I tweaked my Cable modem

groove 04-06-2003 08:56 PM

I ran three times and got .95, 1.0, and .59 Megabits per second just now on Comcast.

I've had a cable modem for 3 1/2 years and have seen performance steadily drop over the years.

Tinkerboater,
I dumped my digital cable 1 1/2 ago and went with Direct TV with TIVO and cannot imagine life without it. If you have never seen what you can do with this combo check it out. I think I pay 50 something a month for the cable modem thought. (I don't really want to know what we pay for it.