Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?... >

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Old 02-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

This past Monday our local paper had an article about the Smith Mountain Lake residents raising cane over performance boats on the Lake. Apparently it all started over a local marina ad hyping the fact one of the performance boats it sold would do "105 mph". It seems there has been a unwritten rule to never hype speeds of performance boats there and now the ice has been broke. They're looking to set speed limits to head off high speed runs.

In addition, the stats on the lake for accidents/injuries are thru the roof which makes the performance boat an extra sore topic with the lake reasidents....
Old 02-19-2003, 12:01 PM
BARRY1784

I knew that was comming. One of my friends lives up there and told me about the stupid dealer that hosted this stunt. According to him the boat made a 105 MPH pass under the bridge, shooting the roostertail over the bridge. All I could think was Here comes trouble. What was the dealer thinking? Hmmm free advertising? Well it may cost him in the long run not to mention other performance boaters. I'm just wondering how the poker run is going to turn out this year.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What a bunch of dopes. I already sent my money for the PR, and if the PR is going to have a damn speed limit of something ridiculous, I want my money back.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Maybe we all can rent a bunch of 'toon boats and putt around on those. Brian, did you get my photobook sent back to me?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Steve, it is still sitting here. I did not get it out before Miami. I will send it this week.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK OK,

The dealer is a very dear friend of mine. Hyping the publicity was not the smartest thing to do. He just picked up the Eliminator line and the boat was a 30 cat w/500efi's, he was trying to generate publicity for his new boat line. As for going under the bridge at 100+ I don' t think that happened but I will call him and ask. Trust me he has taken allot of **** for this already and its still coming. As for SML having speed limits and noise restrictions, not going to happen for a while, but probably will happen.

Saddly, SML is becoming the YANKEE retired place for those who don't make it to FL. As for accidents, yes SML has the most in VA to my knowledge. But not all are powerboats, the worst one was in the 80's when a sail boat hit the bridge/Power lines. Well 5 gone, due to high voltage. Plus at least a couple idiots hurt/killed on PWC's every summer.

Also SML is horrible about rumor's if you want to know whats up go to www.roanoke.com and search SML.

Or ask me,

Will Murray

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 02-19-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Registered

Sorry Will, hope your friend makes out OK , but here's the article. It seems like the jet skis' are the real problem. Go figure.http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story144612.html

Last edited by Jolley; 02-19-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Registered

http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story143855.html http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story144029.html http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story144026.html WOW, I'm gonna stop lookin' you aren't kidding Will, these people are pissed
Old 02-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Jolley,

Yea thats the article. If you noticed their are three groups mentioned in the article, the boating one is the retirees. Trust me if they had passed all the crap they have proposed, we would all be in battery powered pontoons and Kyaks in bed by sundown. The article makes it sound like all the groups get along, they don't. I love SML, the lake I was raised on, and it kills me to see what the seasonal out of state retirees want to make it!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course thats one reason I'm here in FL, but crap you got the holy water cow down here.
WILL
Old 02-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I guess the SML pokerrun should be interesting in my 28' Daytona with CMI sport tubes and no mufflers

We had fun at the pokerrun last year. We were treated very nice at "all" card stops, even though we had to use hand signals to tie up to get our cards.

Quick Reply: Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.