Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tow Vehicle Survey (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47277-tow-vehicle-survey.html)

h2owarrior 04-08-2003 12:08 PM

Tow Vehicle Survey

Two weeks ago I traveled from Peoria to Ft.Lauderdale to pick up the new boat. To keep myself awake I started counting the number of pickup trucks that were towing something (RV, Boat, Utility trailer, etc) to see which brand was used the most. The results surprised even me.

I counted 865 vehicles towing over the 2400 mile round trip.

Ford.......475
GM (I included both Chevy and GMC).......302
Dodge.....78
Other......10

I know this is not scientific, but it certainly appeared that Ford is the choice when towing something is concerned.

Daryl 04-08-2003 12:13 PM

How did you do that while you were driving?

h2owarrior 04-08-2003 12:30 PM

I took a pad of paper and marked off sections for each make. As I saw a truck towing something go by in on-coming traffic, or if I was passed by a truck towing something or passed a truck towing something, I put a tick mark in the appropriate section.

GLH 04-08-2003 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Daryl
How did you do that while you were driving?
I guess H20 found a use for a wife and an abacus, I'm still searching here and I know what an abacus is for!:D:D:D

h2owarrior 04-08-2003 12:36 PM

The wife and abacus were home. Ususally the wife (Tbikini) will keep me awake talking to me. I had to find something to do, Rush is only on for 3 hours and I cannot stand Dr Laura:D :D

CigDaze 04-08-2003 12:37 PM

Long Drive, huh?...;)

Actually, that comes as no surprise. I've often done this myself, though not actually counting...It just seems that Ford occurrances are more frequent. Look at most local city trucks,too whether it's construction, ambulances, etc...Most are Ford.

h2owarrior 04-08-2003 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Holy crap! That would have driven me crazy.:D
Which part ? Finding out that your choice of truck is not the king of the road ? Driving pretty much non-stop for 2400 miles ? Or doing the survey ?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Wally 04-08-2003 03:30 PM

I do that drive from Chicago to Tampa like 4 times a year.....best thing to do to keep awake is leave at 4am and go straight through. Bring food and dont drink alot or you will be stopping more for bathroom then gas for the truck! :D ....its not so bad rolling in at 8-9PM and the timing is just right that you avoid all the rush hour goinng through the major city's like Atlanta.

But to keep me awake i start talking with the truckers on the CB radio's :) That is after i have gone through every CD in the truck twice and watched all the DVD's i have with me! ;)

outer42 04-08-2003 07:02 PM

hey can you do it again and break it down to single or dually's,colors of trucks and so on. that would be a nice gesture for oso brothers.

ragtop409 04-08-2003 07:37 PM

Originally posted by outer37
hey can you do it again and break it down to single or dually's,colors of trucks and so on. that would be a nice gesture for oso brothers.
LMFAO :D ! Rag's