If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bobby daniels
    Put some Isky lifters in (the heavy duty ones )and I think they will last much longer. The biggest problem with solid rollers is upon hard quick acceleration the lifter can leave the cam and slams down on the cam . After time the roller fails or the shaft axle will fail (either is bad).. If you use a rev kit this keeps the lifter Pre-loaded and stops this if all else fails .
    Todays Cam profiles are good enough that except on a few cams this won't happen so you don't see many rev-kits
    ash causes spark knock and most man.won't use oil with alot of it in the oil.Piston air plane oil is ash less due to this problem !!
    Syn. oil was not the problem you had I don't think , but with-out seeing one I can't tell, but again some very high dollar race motors are run just fine or better with syn.oil
    )1 cent worth sorry about your trouble
    Last edited by bobby daniels; 04-09-2003 at 06:43 PM.

My Boats:
    2003 Spectre 36' Poker Run
    Nashville, TN
    Originally posted by Scott
    When I pulled mine apart (same problem BTW) I found that you could push the pin that holds the roller and bearings in out with your finger. I only found this on one motor not the other and heard spomething about a bad batch with a crimp problem. This is NOT confirmed. All I know is that I had to change all of them.
    Scott - Same problem here. I just replaced both sets of lifters in my HP500's due to the same crimp problem. Approx. 250 hours total run time. Luckily we caught it while replacing valve springs and were ahead of a complete failure.

wow! you guys are scareing me here. I've got some crane gold race 1.8 roller rockers on my 502 with roughly 100 hrs on it, is it worth pulling the covers and taking a look? It has only a mild cam, maybe that'll help. Guess you have to keep an eye on any performance set-up. I run 15-40 Royal purple oil.

bobby daniels
    Bird it also depends on sustained rpm's ,,what lit cam do you have ???Yes I would check them boy is it cheap protection,,the best way is to replace them!!!then when you but it back together you won't worry about are they going 10 more or 100 more hrs.

My Boats:
    02 Cigarette Mystique T/S
    Naples, Maine
    I`d like to bring this topic back to the top.

A broken tie bar on Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters RUINED (cracked block) one of my motors in my Top Gun on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday a buddy was up with his boat and it developed a top end noise. What we found was another broken tie bar on a Comp Cams lifter. Another motor ruined

This appears to be an incredibly horrible design. My buddy had only about 15 hrs of run time on his Comp Cams lifters. I had about 120

What are the alternatives to this problem. We are running Gen 4 blocks and can`t use the dog bone style guide to keep the lifters in position.

Broken and extremely dissapointed!!!

Last edited by Biggus; 07-09-2003 at 05:27 PM.

bobby daniels
    Hey biggus I again ask you to use Isky lifters ,they have two styles I would go with the best ! I use alot of them with no trouble and can't make crane or comp live for anything ?? generally if the tie bar breaks unless its poor metal its due to the springs not controling the lifters (bounceing,ect) so check spring pressures also pm me I'll try and save you some bucks on the lifters if it would help ,No I DON'T ON STOCK IN THE COMPNY just like the product allot

My Boats:
    2004 28 Skater / 300x's
    San Diego
    Did'nt Bob Teague do an article in Powerboat reference synthetic vs. Non-synthetic not to long ago. If I remember correctly he recommended not using synthetic with hydraulic rollers due to unusual wear.

bobby daniels
    Again if he did he should tell GM and Ford it won't work as they supply it in several of their high end cars with warranty ect. .
    The syn. oil does know the differance in hyd rollers and solid
    in the lifter bores ,but it sounds like something he would say !!!

Syn oil is better than conv. in every test excpt price ,period
    Zinc is the best additive in conv. oil for friction but it like ash in conv. oil can and often causes spark knock thats why in piston powered planes you are required to run ash less oil ,oh yea ,conv is from the stone age alright ,you can't even compare the two they are to far apart

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    Cars don't spend time on the rev limiters like boats do, creating the high heat, high friction wear associated with rollers in boats.

My Boats:
    Sunsation Rocket
    Beautiful Lake St. Clair,MI
    GM and Katech Engine Development use Mobile One in their 7 liter Covette Engines that run the GTS class at LeMans, Sebring and the other endurance races. I think if there was a better choice they would use it. They have had no failures that I know of in the engine compartment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast