Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   PSD Air Filter (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47411-psd-air-filter.html)

Neverfastenuf 04-10-2003 08:55 AM

Warrior is spot on. If you install a K&N and have a turbo failure, the dealer can void your warranty. Even though I don't believe the filter can cause a failure, because the filter is oiled, some of the oil may be pulled through and deposited on the turbine wheel and some dealers are saying it causes an out of balance wheel. In turn causing a turbo failure!!! I don't think so, but Ford is a rather large company and butting heads with them is no fun. My 02.

Dock Holiday 04-10-2003 09:14 AM

Could not find anything in the area except the Motorcraft from the dealer. I guess there is a reason?

Thanks again for all the information.

CAP071 04-10-2003 09:41 AM

Nice truck!

See now when I do that a cop always pulls up behind me:crazy:

MitchStellin 04-10-2003 09:54 AM

As said look at the gauge. You are lucky the dealer did not hose you for a filter. They would have charged you 2-3 times what it would cost you. The K&N is cool but unless you do other mods such as Programer, bigger down pipe and thru pipe it will do very little. Don't chip it, on TheDieselStop.com there is a huge thread on a voided warrenty from a chip. The dealers are getting very leary of chips but a programer has no tattle tail so what they don't know saves you money.:D

Dock Holiday 04-10-2003 06:59 PM

UPDATE

Stopped by the dealer on the way home and talked with them.

They sold me the Motorcraft filter for $35.99 plus tax and put it in for free. The regular price is $39.99 from them and Advance Auto said they could order the K & N for $45.99.

I think I will just stay with the Ford product.

Talked to the service manager and two techs for about 20 minutes about chips. They have not seen any real problems with chips and have several customers running them that they know of.

As for warranty, they say it will only be a problem if the chip directly is the cause of a problem, and it will not cover that problem. But it will NOT completely void your warranty all together. For example you have a chip that caused a problem that they did not cover, but the next day a power window motor quit working, or a wheel bearing went out that was still under the factory, and not effected by the chip, would be taken care of.

One of the techs showed me a picture of a 2002 F-350 like mine that has been raised 20 inches, has class eight wheels on it off a Freightliner truck, he paid over two thousand dollars to have special adapters made to mount them, he has the Banks Kit with five inch stacks coming out the bed behind the cab and God knows what else. AWESOME, but he probably could buy a real Freightliner for what he has in this truck.

Thanks for all the feedback.