Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   PSD Air Filter (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47411-psd-air-filter.html)

Dock Holiday 04-09-2003 07:46 PM

PSD Air Filter

I have a 2002 F350 PSD 7.3

Had the oil and filter changed yesterday and was looking at the receipt after I got home and the dealer had a note that my air filter needed to be changed.

I called him and asked what this was about and why they did not change it. They could have told me when I got there or called me.

Anyway, I am a little pissed because they did not do anything and it seems that this is very important.

I just went to Advance Auto and to Auto Zone and neither one stocks a filter for my truck? At Auto Zone, no lie their were three F-350 PSD's in there parking lot counting mine.

Was I about to mess up? Should you only use the Motorcraft filter?

What do you guys run in yours?

Thanks Mark

BURNSMAZZ 04-09-2003 07:59 PM

I've got a Fram in mine right now,gonna put a K&N in it the next time.That does seem kind of odd the dealer didn't put one in,or at least say something about it.

Sunsation 32 04-09-2003 08:01 PM

K&N just take it out and wash it ever so often and then re-oil it.

Byron 04-09-2003 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
K&N , also 130hp chip and 5" exhaust. Thats what you need! Good luck.

Payton 04-09-2003 08:09 PM

I would switch to a K&N, but the others won't hurt anything. I've used Carquest filters for years.

buck183 04-09-2003 08:10 PM

I sell 3-5 K&Ns a week in my store for your truck.

Can't believe a parts store wouldn't stock a standard filter for it.

Buck

LapseofReason 04-09-2003 08:10 PM

I run the Airaid air box and K&N filter. It's a good set up the box and filter are bigger,and all you have to do is clean it. The first time I checked my filter at about 20k the side was not sealed it had sucked up, so that was the end of the stock box that I can't see the filter without taking the box top off.

Dock Holiday 04-09-2003 08:47 PM

Thanks guys,

That helps a lot, I really appreciate it.

Byron, That is SMOKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Byron 04-09-2003 08:56 PM

Thanks! If you would like to enhance the performance of your truck call Mark at Mr. Engine 919-781-1331 he is in Raleigh

h2owarrior 04-09-2003 09:24 PM

My recommendation is to not change the air filter until the restriction indicator tells you to. If the filter is still passing enough air to keep the vacuum in the intake below what the indicator is set at, it is working just fine. In fact you can do more damage by replacing it early. A slightly clogged filter actually filters the air better than a brand new one. Before you react think about it for a minute.

Bottom line, change the filter when the indicator provided says to, not before. That is why they put the indicator on the thing to begin with.

If the indicator is in the red, use only a factory filter. Either Navistar or Ford. If the engine is still under warranty and you replace it with other than a factory approved unit and have an induction related failure (turbo) you provide them an opportunity to claim the issue was of your making, not theirs.