Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nozzle size for spray gun for gelcoat? >

Nozzle size for spray gun for gelcoat?

Notices

Nozzle size for spray gun for gelcoat?

Old 04-10-2003, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Nozzle size for spray gun for gelcoat?

I'm getting ready to re-gel the bottom and need to buy a spray gun. What size nozzle do I need?

I bought the "cup gun" that all the fiberglass sites are selling but I will be spraying upwards so it will not work.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Fever500

http://www.havasubarney.com He will be able to help you..

Old 04-10-2003, 11:42 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i though havasubarney got arrested????
Old 04-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered

Question

Puder... Arrested ???????????? Didn't here that...... Hum ?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Preasure pot is your best bet. Unless you want to spend big bucks. Not sure what tip the one is that I used to do my boat. Just call up who ever you are buying the gel from and they should be able to help you out.

Jon
Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

Seems like number 6-8 nozzles ( not sure what dimensions equal) is what's being used. Audio's right use a pressure pot( the trick is mix your gel in gallon or less quanities ,and put that gallon container in the larger pressure pot drop in the pickup tube, close it, pressurize, spay... then just pull out the empty gallon from the pot, put another one in w/cleaner and purge the lines and gun. Heres some of what is out on the web under 'gelcoat nozzles' Good luck! . ' Gelcoat Spray Gun
The Model G-100 by ES Manufacturing, commonly called a cup gun, is primarily designed for spraying gelcoat but it is useful for a wide range of other applications. The main assembly is cast aluminum. It uses a one-quart paper or plastic cup to hold the spray material. The kit includes one of each type cup and a #6 nozzle, which is suitable for most gelcoats. We suggest going to the larger #8 nozzle for spraying gelcoat with metalflake. Thin liquids such as PVA mold release can be handled with the #1 nozzle.'

Old 04-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Registered

Default Some more from the net this one says 1.4mm shnozzle

Spray Gun 3000

The last Spray Gun you will ever buy!
Designed with the installer in mind. This baby can be dropped, thrown and run over by a truck. The body is made of 16 gauge cast steel. Stainless Steel custom cut 1.4mm nozzle for spraying contact adhesives, paint, GelCoat and spray poly fill. A 2.8mm nozzle is available for use with spray-on damping compound. Made in the USA.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes definatly run Accetone through the gun after each batch. Make sure you pay close attention to the temperature as that has a HUGE effect as to how fast the gell will kick off in the gun. Make sure you mix it up well and if you can get it Durratech durraclear is a HUGE help in keeping a good shine and also making it buff out better. It also is sapposed to make it stronger.

Jon
Old 04-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Registered

Jon,

do you know how much you used on the bottom of your boat? Mine is 30' and I have 2 gal of gel, 2 gal. duratech and 1 qt. styrene. Think that will be enough?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken
What you want to do is buy the absolute best money can buy. Get everything you need and I will help you with your boat.

Then once we work through the mistakes and get it right I can borrow it and do mine ;-)

Im out of town all next week but will be glad to give a hand if its still in progress. I also have the ZRC for your trailer.

Quick Reply: Nozzle size for spray gun for gelcoat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.