Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   They took my Excursion! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47475-they-took-my-excursion.html)

Steet 04-11-2003 08:37 PM

Okay, just to be sure I was correct, I called my buddy and verified his mileage. I was partially correct. He checked his mileage on a 735 mile trip, all interstate, and his mileage was 9.2 mpg back in Sept. of last year. This is the best he ever got. He took it to the Ford dealership where he bought it and took the paper work and said he wanted it checked out because of the poor mileage. They jokingly told him they would check it to see why it was getting better mileage than most of them. The ford mechanic told him that anything better than 7 or 8 mpg highway was very good. I have never owned one and never will, but they seem to be very well built and are very nice and I am not bashing them, but why would anyone want the gas gusslers when there are plenty of better mileage vehicles out there that will pull as much or more (including the PSD Excursion). And by the way, he gets almost the same mileage pulling his 33 Donzi as he does empty. Looks like a pulling hoss. Just not for everybody.

Dock Holiday 04-11-2003 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

With all due respect, your buddy really does have a problem.

We have a 2001 V-10 Limited 4 x 4 and WOW, it is an awesome vehicle and the very WORSE mileage I have ever seen is 9.9 MPG and the best I have seen is 15.8 MPG and Dave Ledford can verify that.

We use to drive Jeeps, Tommie and I got the same jeeps at the same time. Liked them but could not tow the Baja 272 we had. She wanted an Excursion really bad and I thought she was crazy.

So I surprised her with a new 2000 Yukon Denali. She hated it and after we towed with it a few months I hated it too. Great for riding around in, but not for much else. The tires and supension were too soft and the wheel base was too short.

She then surprised me by getting the Excursion she wanted to begin with. When we bought they listed for about $10K less than they do now and we also got the ZERO financing.

Bottom line is this this is well worth the money. It does cost to fill it up, but it gets about as good of mileage as my truck.

We towed the 272 all the way to Miami and back and it did a great job. You did not know the boat was back there. Averaged about 10-11 MPG at 70 MPH.

Dave, Sonya, Tommie & me went to Baja in Ohio and that baby cruises at 80 MPH up the West Virginia hills like nothing to it. Front and second row seat all recline, heated seats, XM radio, you cannot beat it. All the room needed for gear and anything else.

We checked the mileage manually on the trip and the best was 15.8. Not bad for what you get in the overall package.

The ride and handling are very good and it is an extremely comfortable vehicle to travel in. The wife has had it full with nine girls from her office and it don't care a bit. The 6.8 is one strong engine.

It will pull the 36, we keep a 20K tag on it as a backup vehicle, but had to add air bags to keep the ride height level.

Yes, the resale SUCKS, but I cannot imagine selling it. Tommie would kill me if I even thought about it. SHE LOVES IT.

I would buy a second one if I could afford it before they stop building them.

One very happy Excursion owner!:D

Byron 04-11-2003 09:14 PM

I have an Excursion, an F-350 dually and a chevy burb. The chevy is great for driving around but anytime I tow anything bigger than my See-Doo's I alsways tow with one of the powerstrokes, Just the facts. Better power, brakes, suspension and handling when loaded!

LapseofReason 04-11-2003 09:19 PM

Chevy make's a great car the Vette, Ford make's everything else.

Back4More 04-11-2003 09:32 PM

MitchStellin...Good eye, I had to have the stickers, it was kinda plain back there.:D
Its the V10 an we love it.

thisistank 04-12-2003 12:05 AM

Originally posted by SLINGSHOT
HOW MUCH OF A LIFT IS THAT AND WHAT SIZE TIRES? LOOKS GOOD
Looks good for a poodle like Nort....He doesn't want to step up to some REAL tires....Can you say at leat 38's on that pig?? Don't worry Nort you can put the sidewinder steps on there so you can still get in:eek: :D :D

And one other thing.....Come on Nort...Painted letters on the side wall went out when the general lee went off the air bro. I'll show you the light some day.....Stick with T and you wont get stuck snoop!:cool:

kcgbjc 04-12-2003 03:58 AM

I understand the story about the Yukon Denali suspension being soft. I had a Tahoe before the Burb. The Tahoe SUCKED! Short wheel base, rolled all over. Hell, I only have a 23' boat and it was working HARD!

I have the 2500 Burb 4x4 with the 496 and there is no roll and it feels as if the boat isn't there. There is enough power to go around.

I've driven the Excuse-sion, matter of fact the one that is being towed away in this thread. Now I am a "bigger the better" kinda guy and I thought about the Ex, but I'll stick with the Burb! Gas mileage sucks, but don't buy a big truck if you can't afford to feed it.

My dad got his first in '77, second in '85, and my 2002 won't be the last! Especially because they will still be making them in 2005.