Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying A New Pc Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47486-buying-new-pc-help.html)

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2003 03:33 PM

Buying A New Pc Help

going to buy a new pc for the office, usually buy dell and just bought a gateway for home, dont fee like waiting for one to be built, gonna go to circuit city or best buy and get one, any reccomendations, i know they have hp and sony , as well as alienworks, and compaq or should i just wait help me?

CAP071 04-10-2003 03:45 PM

I need a new 1 for home might go shopping tomm for 1

puder 04-10-2003 03:58 PM

i've had luck withe th sony.

I have a sony desktop (used for video editing only) and one of those baby little sony laptops (dumb terminal to control servers remotely while traveling).

Niether are used as primary workstations but i have been happy with them.

frequentflyer 04-10-2003 05:36 PM

I think the ones @ tigerdirect.com are already built and they are offering some pretty good deals. If you are not hung up on brand names I would give them a shot. My brother ordered a PC from them and it only took a couple of days.

Treadwellmotorsports 04-10-2003 06:52 PM

go back to gateway. they have many specials going on for being a repeat customer. free shipping plus money off the computer. the 5 day wait is worth. plus you know there on line tech is the best.

Treadwell

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2003 07:09 PM

just went to the local gateway country got one they had in stock..22 beans think i got a good deal

PhantomChaos 04-10-2003 07:42 PM

SONY..........been very very very happy with it! Go BIG!

doright 04-10-2003 11:16 PM

There's only about three different companies out there who actually make computer components so by choosing a brand you're actually buying the same guts no matter who sells it. (Recent grad in Computer Science shared that with me.)

Only real difference is marketing tactics employed by computer sellers...Dell, etc.

Want to save money? Try Howard Industries. It's an American built unit with the same guts as Dell, Compaq, etc., just cheaper because they're assembled in low wage Mississippi instead of high-wage, unionized-to-death California.

Doc

RLW 04-11-2003 03:33 AM

Dell is my choice. I base this on customer service. Mine ate up 2 harddrives in one year. My one year parts and labor warranty was about to expire. I explained my situation and history. I didn't want to be left out in the cold after the waarranty was up.
They extended my warranty another 2 years at no cost to me. Needless to say, I didn't have to use it ever again.
Remember, Dell will send a tech to your house to repair your PC.
Nobody else does this. I called at 4:00 pm with my problem and they sent a tech to my house the next day at 8:00 am.