Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Been with my company ten years now.....need some advice... >

Been with my company ten years now.....need some advice...

Notices

Been with my company ten years now.....need some advice...

Old 04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got 20+ years in at ADEX -- Had a big meeting today ( I missed it ) Got there an hour late. Found out that the company had been sold again ( third time in 6 years ) When I went in today I didn't care what the meeting was about I just took my boiler license off the wall and handed in my phone and keys and told them not to call me back from unemployment. I think the new owner just bought the company for the customer list and will not care who quits. As some of you know I started my own HVAC company here in GRAND RAPIDS. So far things are going great and I havn't even told any of my ADEX customers. Just by chance I picked up a big developer here and he says that they will be my biggest customer. Needless to say I am learning to bend over backwards.
Even more than I already now do.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike take whatever you can get- because when it comes time for heads to roll they wont even think twice. I made my own severence package-( 20+ years of loyal customers ) Adex isn't giving me squat.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda leaning towards the watch. That way I'll know what time it is when they eliminate yet another job from under me!! LOL!!

Seriously, I like my company, and have enjoyed nearly all my time there (the last year and a half or so have been trying, but not all that bad). And there is a small bit of hope on the horizon for me an my career with this company, so I'm trying to be patient. BUT, I work with uneducated factory rats (not being demening, just the truth of the matter) who often just "don't get it" when it comes to company decisions. None of them have been around as long as I have either. I understand our company, I understand most of the decisions we as factory workers have to live with. Most of my co-workers just see it as another way to screw with the hourly workers (the "office" people are BAD to them....whatever....again they just don't understand). It's this ignorance that has been driving me nuts for some time now. And those who know me know I have a hard time biting my tongue at times. So I tend to make some ripples (waves? Swells?) on the plant floor. BUT, my supervisor loves me and my work ethic (do what it takes to get the job done! Period.) This is one of the biggest reasons I stay with the company (that and there are not a lot of jobs right now). Our maintenance crew likes having me around too.....my team almost never has to call them because I usually can fix whatever goes wrong with our machinery before they can even get to our line. Maybe I should go into our maintenance apprentice program......hmmmmm....

Well, I need to go to bed. Work starts at 5 am!!!!!

'Foul

Oh yeah, I'm getting the watch.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the most common words out Mike's mouth (when he isn't biting his tongue)........

Hey, I FIXED IT!

don't suppose they had an oil pump as one of the gift options??

get to work on that thing mike, sea100 is coming up soon. this is dejavou all over again!!!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea Mike whats the hold up? I'm slingin mine in today!!!!They make oil pumps every day!!!put a stock one in and roll.....
Old 04-11-2003, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

Good binoculars are nice, but I always lean towards a nice watch, unless you already have one that you like better. If you're not going to wear the watch they give you, then go with the binox. If you like the watch they offer (and I like the Swiss Army watches) then go with the watch, and wear it often.

I've only got 3 employees with less than 10 years. The remainder of the 20 (including me) have all been there more than 10. The average if you do the math is 14.6 years.

I give a 10-yr cake and a stainless Rolex AirKing (black dial w/stick hour indicators, polished bezel, and oyster band). My only female employee got to choose her dial (salmon w/ Roman numerals).

15 years is $1000 in twenties and a I take the whole shop to lunch at a local restaurant (and invite the spouse of the 15 year man).

20 years is a cheap briefcase with 2,000 one-dollar bills in it, and a cake given at second break.

I've got a 25-year guy coming up fast. Gotta think of something.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Hey, at least you didn't get my anniversary gift.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dang mcollinstn... It is nice to see that there are people that still care about employees. I have been here at where I am for 5 years now, and for the past year I have been trying to move up/into some thing different... I keep getting the feeling that they could care less about me, or what I do ... It is really sad, I like this company but feel like I am being pushed away...

The bottom line is I like to see that there are some people out there that take care of those that work for them. Like my roomate says, who used to own his own company, take care of the people that work for you and they will take care of you. I dont think truer(sp?) words have been spoken!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Registered

30 years at Verizon I got a telescope which I later found at Walmart for $85. Take the day off, ignore the cheap gifts, and send out some resumes. F*** 'em.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
I worked for 18yr at ANR and picked up a couple of Binox and a leatherman. The leatherman is the most valuable tool I own. You wont need a tool box if you have a decent one hangin on your side. It wont tell you what time it is, but it will save you a ton of time running for the screw driver.
As for the job, keep what you have till things improve. I gave every thing I had for 18yrs and they booted me. Now I have 29yrs to go as a State employee and I can retire.
Oh by the way, I did finish my outdrive and will be able to rebuild drives for all the OSO members from here on in... maybe a new day job!!

Dick

P.S. Congrats on the ten yr anniversary!!!! Now lets go boating..