Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is.... >

The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is....

Notices

The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is....

Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob Nordskog. Not only did he stand on one foot and throttle with the other, he was the toughest SOB to every drive a marathon boat. As an example, San Francisco to LA, and Canada to Mexico for starters. Ask Bob or Norm Teague...
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Tommy Akoury is one of my favorite throttle men, riggers, mechanics, gentlemen, of all time. When I was at Cougar, he was Tman/ Crewchief of the unbeatable P-class 'Black Duck'. After the race, and before the speed trials as Wyandotte, Mi., he worked all night with us in the mud and rain, to install our third engine. We could never have done done it without his help, expertise, and parts. Next day, we set the world P-class record. He was second. When I reminded him of his kindness at the reunion, he said: "Yeah, I never was too smart"!
I'm Pete A.'s other son Chris. I acutally had the honor to run the NYC Poker run with Tommy at the throttles of his nephews Skater. I spent the entire time watching what he was doing hoping that I coud pick up some pointers....needless to say I did. I think my dad said it best, "I just pointed the boat in the right direction, Tommy is the one that got us to the finish line."

Anyway, I'll probably run into him this weekend, I'll tell him about the nice things being said about him.

Brownie, thanks for the kind words about my father...he is just figuring out what a computer is (he's oldschool like that, still doesn't even have a cell phone), so maybe one day we'll get him on here. It would be nice for him to connect with some of the old timers on here.

-Chris
Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Three teams put our Shadow Cats on the map and Shadow begat the Chris Cat and Chris Cat begat the Conquests..... but without Black Duck (Aiken/Akoury), Luv-it ( Gilly), and El Boss ( Diaz)...... none of the rest would have happened....

Those guys were the start of the whole thing and without them we might have been a sad anecdote......

Truth is, it is the teams that make the boats and engines successful.

T2

Last edited by T2x; 06-27-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Memories..........

Willie Diaz was an astounding T-man..... He was in great condition, had amazing reflexes, and was absolutely fearless. He was accompanied at all times by his wing men, Carlos and "El Rhonco" (The Rhino)...... These two were bookends built like a pair of offensive linemen with massive bodies. On land they sure acted like bodyguards....... In the boat one drove and one "navigated". In fact during races both simply hung on for dear life....regardless of who had the wheel..... El Boss was set up with the throttleman in the middle..... for absolute control....

After each race, Willie would step out of the boat as fresh as a daisy without a drop of perspiration...... His teamates stepped out grey faced, soaked with sweat......and probably 20 lbs lighter than before the event.

I often wondered what the conversations were like in that boat as Willie charged through the breakers over the Key West reef.........

I fear we will never see anything like that again....

T2x
Attached Thumbnails The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is....-h9806-0082sm.jpg   The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is....-my-pictures-059.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-27-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

T2x,
Did Joey Imprescia ever tell you the story of driving the 46 Skater through the cat tails? ...Funny story.

Very nice thread you people have going!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi38ZR
I would Add to this list of Gunners!!!

- Bob Teague -
- Mike Stancombe -
- Lee Murray -
thank you for adding me on this list, i am honored but i dont believe i have yet acheived what all these others have!
not yet atleast, still working on it though
again thank you
Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by racesdad
thank you for adding me on this list, i am honored but i dont believe i have yet acheived what all these others have!
not yet atleast, still working on it though
again thank you
Mike:

You make my list simply because, with the humility you have shown above, you seperate yourself from the current group ..... and that is "Old School".

T2x
Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

How about John Connor. He throttled Kaama to more than a few championships.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Rich Cole - Double Digits 22' Stinger out of Trixie Marine
Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered

You're right about John Conner, he was also a good wrench and all around good guy. Wonder where he is today...

Quick Reply: The ALL-TIME Worlds BEST Throttle Man is....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.