Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oil Filters Froze Up......help! >

Oil Filters Froze Up......help!

Notices

Oil Filters Froze Up......help!

Old 04-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Mr. Demeanor

By the way, I used to be a bolt breaking thread stripping idiot. Now Im just an idiot. I have found that I can work on damn near anything with nothing more than an 1/8th" ratchet. I even choke up on it now and never do I have a problem with things getting loose. Yes, I have a large and small torque wrench. But alot of things dont have torque specs. No more Heli coils for me. I think most people who wrench in the garage tend to overtighten things like oil drain plugs, filters, etc. for fear of them coming loose.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sydwayz
Righty-tighty;
Left-loosey.

I had to argue with my girlfriend for half an hour that doesn't mean anything, if you're not looking at it from the front. I still don't think she believes me. She stood there and watched me trying to break a bolt loose and wouldn not believe that I was going the right direction.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Registered

O.K. guys.........give me a little break.....I am going the right direction.....oh make that the left direction......

W.D.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't gotten it off yet, try a large pair of Channel-locks and grip it by the base flange.
If you do go with a strap wrench and it slips, the rubber idea is good but sandpaper works too. A chain type will surely crush the filter can.
Good luck.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sheet metal screw trick sounds good. Should give the best traction without deformation.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:28 AM
jr

I had the same problem. I used a metal strap type wrench that had dimples on the inside for grip right at the base of the filter where there is a little more meat to keep it from crushing, then used a piece of 1 inch dia. galvanized pipe as a breaker bar over the handle of the wrench. The breaker bar was about 18 inches long. It just worked. I bent the crap out of the wrench, and filter but it did come off. I had tried every thing else with no luck.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wrench

Put that band wrench back on it, and use some sheet metal screws. Feel free to use 6 or 8 screws if need be.

The screwdriver as a drift around the base is a good idea...

The ole trick of hammering a screwdriver through and turning won't get this one off.. You'll just tear things up worse.

Last; Use the force!
May the force be with you.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Registered

Hey WHITE-DIAMONDS, what's the status of this after all these suggestions? I am interested, as I'm sure others are to as to the progress!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Luvoffshore
Hey WHITE-DIAMONDS, what's the status of this after all these suggestions? I am interested, as I'm sure others are to as to the progress!

I'm jump'n back in there tonight...............I'll let you all know. I've got an array of weapons to use, thanks to you guys!!!!

W.D.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Registered

Well...........the strap wrench finally did it, it took awhile along with placing some rubber strips inside to give it a better grip and keep from slipping, but finally got em' off!!!

Thanks to all with some excellent advise!

And no thanks to you all that thought I was turning the filter in the wrong direction!

W.D.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters Froze Up......help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.