Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   West Michigan Guys - need some help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47696-west-michigan-guys-need-some-help.html)

dockrocker 04-14-2003 12:34 PM

The ad reads "95,000 employees on six continents". Could be JCI, as I thought the ad said "headquarters" but it only says "located in Holland"

Hmmm... gonna finish the resume today and get it out to them, maybe I'll be seeing some of that west coast action :)

CigDaze 04-14-2003 12:52 PM

I didn't see Johnson Controls on the Fortune List:
This may help narrow it down.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fortune500

I would look between fortune 100 and 150...
Because any lower and they would have said fortune 100.

dockrocker 04-14-2003 01:06 PM

Baja Daze,

Great minds think alike - I was looking at that earlier. Johnson Controls was in there, I think, just can't remember where. I'm probably getting way ahead of myself anyhow. One step at a time - though if this works out, we'll move to the West Coast and I can check out all those bikinis and whatnot that Nort keeps talking about! Woo Hoo!!! :D

CigDaze 04-14-2003 01:57 PM

Duh! My bad! It's in at 86, I spelled it wrong the first time...
Anyway, good luck! :cool:

MitchStellin 04-14-2003 03:33 PM

Sounds like JCI to me. They are worldwide. If you find out more let me know and I will bird dog it for you.

wannabe 04-14-2003 04:18 PM

JCI

Has to be, Gentex is to small.

Magna/Donnelly is in the GR area.

This would be at the old Prince HQ, so you would be working in Automotive Interiors. But you probably know that already given you live in Detroit (DA-TWA to the French).

JCI is our competition since I work for a company named after a corporate jet. Good luck and hope you get the job.

Wannabe

PS which headhunter co. is doing the search?

Waterfoul 04-14-2003 07:25 PM

I had a nice long disertation typed in and my computer crashed!! So this time I'm gonna keep it shorter. Maybe....:rolleyes:

The compnay you are interviewing with has to be JCI. It is the largest employer in Holland, and our worldwide emplyment is around 95,000. There are some companies owned by JCI that do not say JCI on the sign, mostly in Europe where name recognition is a factor with some OEM's. They would rather buy from a European company. Oh well.

If the interview you have is for a company "headquartered in Holland, MI" it is with our ASG group (Automotive Systems Group). It is located in what used to be Prince Corporation buildings. VERY nice facilities believe me, I've been to many of our suppliers, competitors/joint venture companies, and many, many OEM's and our facilities are better than nearly all of them. JCI consists of three basic units: ASG, Batteries, and Controls (HVAC, lighting, controls, etc... for large buildings/stadiums/etc...). JCI itself has it's World Headquarters in Milwaukee, WI.

As for the boating in the area, it's AWSOME. Lake Michigan is nothing like the choppy, shallow Lk. St. Claire. JCI has a boat club (there is a post with our scheduled runs including our 3rd annual Poker Run). Rambunctious and I are the only JCI employees at OSO (that I know of anyway). We make runs to Saugatuck once a month (more if we are so inclined!!) from Holland. Lot's of fun!!!

The company is very strong. While most of the large area employers were laying people off (Steelcase, Herman Miller, Haworth, etc... even Donnely) we were hiring. We hired a lot of the people layed off at the aformentioned companies. Our stock is a best buy if I'm not mistaken, and has maintained it's price on the NYSE thru all the economic turmoil. It seems to hover around $75 or so. I wish it would go down so I could buy some more!!! You could do a LOT worse than gaining employment with our company. We do work a lot of hours (ask Rambunctious about the corporate hours, I work at the plant and do about 50-55 a week currently).

If you come to Holland for an interview, let me and Rob know......maybe we can do lunch or something.

Mike

Waterfoul 04-14-2003 07:28 PM

Guess that wasn't all that short!! :D

dockrocker 04-14-2003 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info, Mitch and 'Foul - I'm sending the resume and cover letter out tonight, we'll see what happens. I'm pretty psyched, though - it sounds like the position is tailor-made for my skills and history. But then again, what do I know?

If it does shake out, I'll let you guys know, and I appreciate the background.

Waterfoul 04-14-2003 08:03 PM

No sweat. Be sure to keep us informed!!

And since you are currently boatless (judging by your avitar signature) consider yourself a guest on my boat if you ever make it out here. We'll go for a blast across Lake Macatawa and into Lake Michigan. But give me about 2-3 weeks to get the motor back together and in the boat. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: