Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Ford warranty thread, looks like air filters may void warranty. >

Another Ford warranty thread, looks like air filters may void warranty.

Notices

Another Ford warranty thread, looks like air filters may void warranty.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Default Another Ford warranty thread, looks like air filters may void warranty.

Heres the link. Read and make your own judgments. Don't shoot the messenger. Just be careful who you let touch your truck I guess. I know there are allot of PSD owners here so I think this info is important.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=1#Post1170948

Old 04-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is some confusion on this issue. As identified in the thread you posted. You cannot "void" a warranty. You can determine that a failure was not warranted. This means that the failure was not the result of a defect in material and/or workmanship but due to some modification you did to the vehicle.

For instance.....you replace the air filter with a non Ford approved unit and have a Turbo failure due to high vacuum loads and a resulting over speed situation. This was not due to a defect in material or workmanship, but the result of the higher restriction in the non Ford approved filter.

On the other hand, you install an aftermarket air filter and 100 miles later have a cam bearing go bad. This should still be covered under warranty as there is no way the aftermarket air filter could have had any effect on the cam bearing.

Remember, Warranties cannot be void. The failure can be determined to not be the result of defect in material and workmanship.....and that is a different issue that warranty.

Last edited by h2owarrior; 04-15-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I agree, but it sounds like Ford is starting to push the issue and I can understand their viewpoint as well. Mines already flagged as having a chip.

Old 04-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right on. And for the most part, the determination of a "warrant-able" failure is at the discretion of the dealer. If Ford is cracking down on the dealers, this does not bode well for those of us that have "modified" our PSD's.