If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Who buys these?

Question Who buys these?

Having just moved to Westport CT from Syracuse NY, I have a dilemma. My 259 Checkmate is still there (for sale) and I am here. If I bring the boat out here I can use it, but what kind of name recognition will it have as far as selling it? Am I better off leaving it there?

Glastonbury, CT
    It depends on the size of the checkmate. Ct has alot of lakes and the Ct river if its small and if its a larger one we have long Island sound so either way might be good except for the economy in Ct has slowed down some what. Used to be a dealer in South Windsor Ct that sold them now no one in the state carrys them.

I updated the size...

My Boats:
    38' Cigarette, 42'Post, Driver:F2-07 Wild Child
    Greenwich CT. U S of A
    I would think it is just as popular in this area.
    I have seen plenty of Checkmates on Long Island Sound and LOTS on the Connecticut River.
    Good luck with the sale!

Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    SW CT & Long Island Sound
    DJD is right...There are a few Checkmates at my marina in Norwalk, it's a familiar brand around here, albiet not as common as the midwest though. You'll have fun in the Sound with that boat, it might get a little big for it out there from time to time, but for the most part you'll be fine. You're now in one of the best body's of water for boating anywhere. If you're in Westport (I'm in Wilton, the next town inland), you'll have access to the launching ramp at Compo beach. If you need somebody to show you around the Sound, let me know, my boat is just a few minutes from Westport.

Boston Ma, Charlotte NC

think you 'd have a problem. they make a decent boat, i have had several. just relocated down to charlotte from boston. a lot of boat for the money and you can make them real fast!!!!

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    Locust Valley, New York
    plentyof checkmates around the LI sound. It would be a fun boat tohave and if you sell it you shoudl be fine.

running it in salt mightbringthe pricdowna bit becasue you wouldn't be able to sell it as a 100% freshwater boat anymore
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

My Boats:
    Zodiac RIB
    Grand Haven, MI USA
    Quality always sells so you may have to give it away Just kidding.....see ...that means I am kidding. I know the brand well and they rank above 90% of boats in this class. They are strong, fast, and smooth so like I said....Quality always sells and this size is still priced right for any market. With water levels low you have a better chance than most sizes.