Notices

Problems with Imco

Old 04-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Nefarious
OK, Devils advocate, maybe this boat has had the living **** run out of it and with over-revving and stuff, they popped. I have seen the pictures on the AT web site and it looks like the boat is not being babied! IS THIS POSSIBLE?
It is a go fast powerboat and those IMCO SC's are marketed as if they are "the ****".
I know it didn't help that they were mounted aggressively.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:49 AM
Registered

Just think, some $15 SOB at the heat treaters that Mercury sends those gears to had to wackoff during working hours/nightshift and messed up on the R/C hardness spec.on a few hundred pinion gears
And the QC chick had a OB/GYN app. that next morning so no one checked that batch.
Sent them to Mercury for a big profit...then Mercury sent some to IMCO for a profit...them IMCO bends you over the chair some more.
And we are the poor guys that have to take it on the chin because we want to go fast.
B-max...might B-ugly...might B-pricey...but might B-all we got in this Bravo style drive game.
rpm once mentioned that he would warrantee any B-max drive, setup by him with any power in front of it..still true Rod?
Old 04-18-2003, 05:43 AM
rpm

Absolutely - Setup means boat brought to my shop for install and testing.

Rod

Old 04-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is pure 100% BullSh*t We as a paying consumer should get what we pay for. IMCO should fix the problem and take matters straight to Mercury if that is where the problem lies. It's that simple. On a board like this, We could easily take buisness away from IMCO and by all rights from what I read on this product I'll never buy something from them. My friend was looking at 2 drives for his Hustler I can tell you he is not buying them from IMCO now, Are you listening IMCO?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:13 AM
rhino

Max power is >575hp for a bravo and that is it, end of story. Any unit that uses the same gears has the same limitations. It's a fantastic drive for what it was intended. If you are serious about power and running hard, move up to Mercruiser SSMVI drives and run for season after season and NOT hour by hour.

Have you ever heard anyone brag about their pickup trucks lasting for weeks?

P.S. Yes I know they are expensive.

Last edited by rhino; 04-18-2003 at 06:42 AM.

Old 04-18-2003, 07:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I got some of the very first IMCO SC's (#40 and #43) I ran them all last summer behind 700HP. They were 1.36 lowers too. I had no problems at all. When I first received them I had an issue where metal shavings from manufacturing were in one of the lower driveshaft boss. I called and they had a truck pick it up and then return it to me for free after a full tear down. It ended up nothing was wrong and the shavings somehow got flung in there during final prep or shipping. It did take a couple of weeks to turn it arround though.

I have mainly delt with Dave and talked a couple of times to Fred. On all occasions I have been treated good. I am having the two drives converted to 1.50 ratios and I am buying a 3rd for the 47 Fountain. Only time will tell how well they hold up under these conditions.

The way I see it if the gears are prematurely wearing out there are only two possibilities; Bad gears or bad tolerences when building. You should be able to check the tolerences on a tear down. If neither are the case then the gear set must be being over stressed (too much hp).
Old 04-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Registered

The Bmax uses 5 inch gears, I'am not sure but I don't think it uses any of the Bravo part's.

What are the #'s of the XR drives with the soft gears? I am getting ready to get a used boat with XR's on it and want to see if it's got the bad ones in it.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

We have been dealing with IMCO for 5-6 years and I have been very impressed with the quality and durability of their products. Especially the drives. They spend lot's of time and money to develop and market better solutions for high performance boats. We have run their drives behind big inch blower motors in cats and v-bottoms. Sure, there have been some failures but they have always worked with the customer to find better solutions. The reality issue is that we understand that some parts failures is the nature of the beast. Winston cup motors have millions spent to insure their reliability but they have no warranty!!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

Default Keep the threads coming

I was in the market to replace my new XR's with the IMCO SC's but I will not be doing anything now until I hear how IMCO resolves the issues that have come to surface here on OSO. thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

my buddy has a 95 35 fountain with 900's. He bought it last year towards the end of the season and blew 2 imco extremes (non shorty) in 10 hours. He had them rebuilt over the winter so we will see what happens this season. I had told him about the bad run of gears...so he is hoping that they stay together this time around.

P.S. he was only running the boat at 2500 - 3000 rpms both time the drives failed.

Quick Reply: Problems with Imco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.