Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Problems with Imco (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/48003-problems-imco.html)

Jassman 04-19-2003 09:12 PM

Sometime next week, Dan, who has the same boat, same motors with xr's are being inspected just for the hell of it, he has been on just about every run I have been on, and has 56 hours on his boat, we will post the results on that as well.

Back4More 04-19-2003 09:54 PM

Jason's a good dude...I shot you a PM.

bob 04-19-2003 10:04 PM

KAAMA/ I need to call "Jason" as I am looking for a SSM prop and he supposedly has a few laying around. Could you by chance email me his number? [email protected].

On the gear situation. If a motor builder started having motors prematurely grenade due to a faulty piece supplied by component supplier could he turn his back on his customers and still maintain a reputable business? I would say no, he would take care of his customers and sit down with the supplier. Heck, I know of one builder who actually stood by his warranty even after a trans failed (which he didn't supply) and the rpm went to the moon! I think Imco should support their customers and sit down with Merc. There are certainly other gear suppliers in the market.

Back4More 04-19-2003 10:10 PM

518 644 3080...shop number

bob 04-19-2003 10:28 PM

Back4More...thanks!

Mr Gadgets 04-20-2003 07:42 AM

Well I thought I would throw in my .02 on the subject. In 99 I was putting together a new boat and was all excited about the project. I ordered the "at that time" best gears from Imco. They were the Merc gears, rewelded and bead blasted or what ever. I think they lasted about 17hrs and on a cruise the forward gear gave up three teeth. I was still tunning the EFI and increasing throttle in 200 rpm steps.. I just never really put any power to the drive.
Well I called Imco the drive gods there told me I was making way too much power and thats why the gear failed. I told them I never put any power to it.. they said NO WARRANTY!! I asked for a solution.. well just send us more money and we will send you three more gears ... I learned my lesson early and cheaper than some. I know Imco is lousy at standing behind their product. They do have some pieces that with excellent ideas and I do still buy some pieces from them, but I dont buy packages from them!! I dont care to have them in control of my wallet..

The soft gears from Merc.. well one post said well... the heat treat guy had a hang over and the quality inspector was online instead of checking parts.. Just the way America is heading with work ethic.. I was stung with a soft pinion and hopefully the next one will not be the same, but I dont have access to a Rockwell machine to make sure. I am trusting in Merc to have told their supplier to take the computer away from that QC inspector..

Good luck on your endevor with Imco.. I hope they step up to the plate, but dont hold your breath.. like they say. Word of mouth advertising can go both ways.. Go for it!!

Dick

h2owarrior 04-20-2003 11:52 PM

I am real curious how Dan's "inspection" turns out as I have XR's that were built at about the same time:eek:

Jassman 04-21-2003 08:33 PM

Still no response, I will call again tomorrow. Pat never got a responce as well, poor business response:mad:

ScottB 04-21-2003 08:49 PM

I have a new set of ASD 10's if anyone is interested

later 04-21-2003 09:10 PM

Do they still make the III's, and V's, with the horsepwer being so easy to get these days i surprised more manufactures aren't pushing the III'S and V's if there still available. anyone know why not
later