If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Boats:
    1949 Chris-Craft
    Orlando, FL
    Check the compression. Hopefully you don't have a detonation problem.

Cape Coral, FL / Toms River N.J.
    Are you sure you didn't run out of fingernails and start
    chomping on the plug

My Boats:
    1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    Do you guys think that all of those 4-5 mile WOT trips finally caught up with it?

My Boats:
    98 NORTECH 5000V
    Stafford Va.
    No wonder you are sexually frustrated if my my hands looked like that my cock would never let me touch it either.

AT Cult Member #3 VIP Member R Addiction's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
    Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
    No wonder you are sexually frustrated if my my hands looked like that my cock would never let me touch it either.
    This stuff is the best after a $hitty day at work!!!

Platinum Member Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    33 Active Thunder
    Brookfield, Wi.
    Good one Lapse of Reason, I'm LMFAO !!!!

coolrunning racing VIP Member mrv8outboard's Avatar
    My Boats:
    built myself 1994
    cape cod
    always use new plugs after fogging oil. not only does it glaze the plugs it can effect the heat range. an earlier post said it correctly. run the engine on the old plugs to burn off the fogging oil. due a summerization tune up,ect. take it easy on the old fuel. there are different fuels for winter and summer and around here we start getting into winter fuel in October,so keep that in mind as well. make sure to wash your flame arrestor. fuel filters should be changed after you run it for the first time in the spring, the reason to do it now rather than in the fall is because all the sediment,water and debris will migrate to the bottom of the tank. the boat sit's still all winter so it is like vacuuming the bottom of you tank and replacing the bag.

i have also seen that condition i a 4.3 before. this one was a 1988 model,middle cylinder port side. checked out ok and still running today.

get rid of the champion plugs, ngk v-grooves are good.

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    5 mile WOT runs should be no big deal on a stock motor running in the recommended rpm range, assuming clean oil and proper state of tune (and fresh gasoline). I had a Wellcraft with a stock 260 Mercruiser and we put 700 hours on it, probably a full third of it WOT. It was not unusual at all to run 4600 rpm for over an hour at a time. The boat was parked under a gutter and was accidentally "sunk" and after that, the rings didn't seal well and there was excessive blowby so I pulled her down for a look-see. Cylinder bore had a noticeable ring ridge at the top of the stroke, but was otherwise in good shape (except for the rusty rings). Rings, bearings, a pass with the ridge reamer, and a few strokes of the hone and it was still going strong at 1100 hours when I sold her (she got a Comp 268H cam, a set of cheap springs, and some hand-lapping on the valves, too, while down).

As far as plug brand and style, I'm not a huge proponent of any particular plug on a stocker - whatever the parts house hands you will work okay as long as it is a direct crossover for the Merc recommendation..
    I see London, I see France...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123