explain the parts of an I/O >

explain the parts of an I/O

Notices

explain the parts of an I/O

Old 04-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default explain the parts of an I/O

Hate to have to ask this question, but I have been an outboard guy all my life and never fully understood the parts to an I/O. If I were buying a boat which had no power, can you tell me the basics of what I need to buy, starting with the engine? For instance, engine, headers, transom assembly, outdrive, prop, etc. because whenever I look at a "total power package" price I never really know if it's complete. I know this is a basic question to answer for most of you guys, but help me catch up.

Randy
Old 04-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Registered

A little help?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see......
Engine with complete cooling, fuel and electrical package (wire harness, alternator, starter, fuel pump,filter and raw water pump if going with a Bravo drive).
Engine mounts, both stringer brackets and vibration isolators.
Exhaust sysem? There's different needs if it's thru hull vs thru prop.

Complete out drive assembly. Consisting of both inner and outer transom assemblies (gimbal ring, bell housing, trim rams), engine bell housing, trim pump and hoses. Don't forget the drive itself. And a prop is extra.

Steering system. If going with an external type there's kits available from various manufacturers. If going internal, Mercury has a standard set up.

Don't forget various switches and circuit breakers, steering/throttle and shift cables as well as control systems.

I know I didn't mention everything that's requied, but it's a basic idea of what's needed.
Trying to "do it yourself" is a big expensive undertaking.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered

thanks, iggy.

That was a lot of detail. But when you go to buy an engine and it is said to be a complete power and, say. a 500 efi costs, say, $28,000 or whatever, should that include the engine, exhaust, transom assembly and outdrive? I know it woldnt include steering.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did a little checking and the one site that listed the 500 EFI, 28K was for engine only (bobtail). Add about 11K to that for a Bravo drive.
Better make a phone call to find out for sure.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Registered

funny,
I just made that number up. But you'd have to add 11k for the drive, so about 39k. hmmm.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I take back what I said.
Looking further I found a 500 EFI, less exhaust (but don't know what else comes on it), for 16K. It's listed as 'full dress".
And a Bravo drive (no transom assy) for 3,200 and a transom assy for 2,500 with trim pump.
Pays to look around.

Now I'm thouroughly confused.

The first place I looked was Mercruiserparts.com the second was Dereberyperformancemarine.com .
Old 04-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered

anybody else?is there a diagram or something of the basic parts that make up an entire i/o? doesnt hav eto be too specific, just like engine, transom assembly, drive, etc.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Registered

I'm glad I saw this thread.........some people know of my technical expertise, and are just amazed.

You see there is this big black part with a flat side with a part sticking out of it. This bolts to the transom (back of the boat) and the part that sticks out connects to the back side of your engine. The opposite end of that is a black gear box that gets hot and sometime breaks inside costing you a lot of money. After the gears, it heads down to another set of gears and this part doesn't get so hot since it normally is in the water. These gears break sometimes too and it costs you a lot of money, or if they don't, or the upper ones don't, then the shaft connecting between them breaks and costs you a lot of money. The end of this part is where the shine bladed part is. Hopefully you have all of the blades on, otherwise it will cost you a lot of money somewhere. Either any of the previously mentioned parts or the actual prop, or all of the above. Anyway, it's all going to cost you a lot of money.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Registered

(I hope you realize I was just messin with you RT)

Quick Reply: explain the parts of an I/O

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.