Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   32 Hustler vs 31 Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/48556-32-hustler-vs-31-scarab.html)

billdz10 04-25-2003 05:59 PM

32 Hustler vs 31 Scarab

I'm currently looking at a 89 Hustler 32' and a 92 Scarab 31'. The huster has 454 mags the scarab 502 mags. Both are about the same price. I'm wondering what the better performing boat would be , I know its a matter of opinion but I've never purchased anything of this size and really want a good foundation.

Regards

Pure Energy 04-25-2003 06:47 PM

There is good and bad about both. The only way to see what is best for you is a sea trial. Take your time and look a couple of times if you have to.

Hustler 26 04-25-2003 10:00 PM

I've been in both and like both. Like others have already said test drive both, look them over carefully and choice the one you like best. Good luck and have fun

Mike J 04-25-2003 10:34 PM

I worked at Team Scarab in Calif. on
and off for over 12 years and I feel
the 31 NonStep Scarab is my favorite
Boat.
Mike J.

mtm 04-26-2003 07:43 AM

hustler/scarab

i had a 1989 32 hustler and have friends with scarabs. Ware you boat and how you use the boat all play a part. big water cant beat the hustler speed or ride the hustler feels solid and they are built solid . the hustlers are hard to find makes them worth Little more. if you want speed cant beat it take them for a ride . there are 32 hustlers in NJ that run 90mph to 100+ with 500hp to 700hp good luck

Ron P 04-26-2003 10:35 AM

The Hustler is a custom boat and the Scarab is a production boat.

IMHO the Wellcraft will not take the beating that the hustler will. Probably they will feel the same in calm water. The difference will be when you come back from an ocean romp and find nothing falling apart in the Hustler compared to screws comming out in the scarab.

billdz10 04-26-2003 11:17 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for the replies. AI really appreciate it. I'm going to have both looked over by a professional. I find in dealing with brokers it's hard to get a honest opinion. With the combination of motor options / accessories etc it's hard to compare two different options. I'll be running the boat in Jersey , back bays and ocean so a rough water ride is important to me.

Thanks again
Bill

Panther 04-26-2003 12:10 PM

I am a Scarab owner and I would say that you should go with the hustler. Same power pound for pound the Hustler is faster, and handles better. Hell, they were much more up to date with new building techniques than Scarab. I believe the Scarab design is one that has a hull liner, where as the Hustler does not, and the hull and deck are glassed together, and have bulk heads every 3-4 feet. The scarab is a nicer boat from the comfort in the cabin, and the seats are a little nicer. Scarab started using the McCloed seats, where as the Hustler is custom made.

The 31 Scarab you are referring to, is it the Viper? That was a really nice boat. It looked like a flat deck cigarette.

Of course test it yourself and see what you like better.

Panther

J-BOAT 04-26-2003 03:18 PM

Never rode in a 32 hustler Im sure it's a very fine boat, but I do have a 31 scarab and I find the ride, fit, and finish are very good, and I am extremely satisfied.

Panther 04-26-2003 04:07 PM

Too Old, I don't know why they stopped making the Viper either. In my honest opinion it is a much nicer looking boat that the AVS. The old 38 KV's were sweet too, I am a fan of the classic look myself.

A guy I know worked at the Scarab plant back in the mid eighties and told about the things happening with their production boats. The Larry Smith boats were excellent, but the production boats were sloppy. He mentioned that they were poping boats out of molds so fast back then that 90% of them had hook's and when you walked on the boat while it was in the mold it sounded like a sqeaky wheel. They were building them so fast and in number that some of the quality suffered. I know that because I had to re-glass the entire keel of my boat because they did not overlap properly. things got better in the late eighties from what I hear.

panther