Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much $$ to have trailer sandblasted? >

How much $$ to have trailer sandblasted?

Notices

How much $$ to have trailer sandblasted?

Old 04-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much $$ to have trailer sandblasted?

I've been thinking about having my boat trailer sandblasted. Its a steel Eagle trailer and is probably around 21' in length and is starting to rust. About how much do you think I would be looking at money wise for the sandblasting?

I want it to look just as good as the boat does

Thanks

Oh and if someone knows where around West Michigan that would do it, feel free to add that as well.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Todd, talk to MacDad260. He recently had his done and then painted. I saw it last week, turned out nice.

'Foul
Old 04-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered

Just to give you an idea I charge $65 per hr. to blast and $20 to paint.

With prep time a 21ft eagle would probably take about 5 or 6 hrs give or take a few depending on certain circumstances(sp),and probably a few hrs. to prime and paint depending on the paint to be used.

Theese numbers may be a little low since I only do this as a side business. There are guys here in OH that I know who charge up to $95 an hr. to blast.

Just call around your area and get as many estimates as you can
Hope this helps.

Last edited by THRILLSEEKER; 04-27-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Registered

Had a guy in my area quote me over the phone without seeing the trailer for $150 or less for my Competitive triple axle....for a 25 V-bottom.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Registered

Get it blasted, Zinc coated then Powder Coated and it wont rust ever if they do it right.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

BTW, not trying to scare you but if your trailer has a (square tube) style frame and depending on its age and wether or not it is used in salt water, it can rot from the inside out

This is something you might want to check before putting money into having it blasted and painted
Old 04-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like Thrillseeker said, check the steel out good before you count on having your trailer sandblasted. I just replaced my steel trailer (1989 Eagle) because the front of it rusted totally thru from the inside. For more info do a search in this forum and the Tech section on trailers, steel trailers and Eagle trailers.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Redstripe,

If it is not too rusty I would save my money on sandblasting and just have it sanded and painted. I had my trailer done last fall and it was totally sandblasted and then painted with a 2 part paint. Nice job but, they missed a few spots that I have been fixing myself with some extra paint that they gave me. The guys that did it are customers of mine so I thew my business their way. All in all they treated me good. My trailer was pretty bad so sanding alone would not have achieved the results I was looking for. I did check the frame for weak spots and found none. I replaced all the bunks with wolmanized 2 x 6's and am putting aluminum diamond plate on the inner fenders and steps. Even after getting most of the diamond plate for free, I'll still have almost $800 bucks wrapped into it.

Good luck, Doug
Old 04-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replys everyone.
The trailer looks pretty solid but its starting to get surface rust spots on it from the stone chips etc. It's never been in salt water.
I have been working on the trailer myself for the past couple of days (or week ) I needed to replace the steps and inner fender as they were getting bad. I had already replaced the bunks last season as they were bad as well. Once I took off the steps, I decided to work on the rust around the area of the steps to clean it up a bit and had one side primed and ready for paint. Then my wife came out and said "looks great hunny, but what about the rest of the trailer" LOL!! I've spent alot of time so far just doing this area and don't have the time to sand down the rest of it so I though about having it sandblasted instead. Who should I check with about having it just sanded instead? Do bodyshops do this?
Thanks again for the replys and ideas!!
Todd
Old 04-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Local semi-trailer place will blast stuff pretty cheap (Fruehauf in Nashville). Around $50 for a truck frame, around $75 for a boat trailer for a 25'er.

Quick Reply: How much $$ to have trailer sandblasted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.