Notices

96 tahoe prob.

Old 04-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 tahoe prob.

I spend the better part of the day yesterday tearing off my intake manifold yesterday to replace the gasket that caused an impressive coolant leak,I'm talking like 2 gallons in like a minute.
What a pain in the ass! I've never hd an intake leak coolant like that. I hate all the emmisions and computor control b.s. I wasted half a day playing with fuel and electrical connecters.
Is there anyone else out there that doesn't care what anyone says about emmisions control and computors, and would rather work on a carb. motor.Its not that fuel inj. and D.I.S. ign. is to complicated, its just to much to fail. and not worth the benifits. If you get a good carburator thats dialed in right and get the timing right, It'll run just as good as inj. and better throttle resp.
my .02
Old 04-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

I do agree with ya to a point...but i like EFI due to the fact its constantly adjusting to its conditions for optimal performance.....true the trucks are set for all around economy for the everyday joe shmo...but if you set it up corectly you can get some very impressive results from EFI....and you just plud a diagnostic computer in and it will tell ya whats wrong.....not the tried and true "well its running ruough....so...it might be the carb...or my plugs are the wrong heat range....etc.."
But i do know where your coming from on all the BS thats added on the engines now a days.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

Wally: You'r right about the Ability to adjust to conditions. About the diagnosis though, If you know your engines by plugs, carb and timing you can tell whats wrong just like the scanner does. I just hate the stupid **** that you run into like bad grounds, that throws codes for things sending you chasing in the wrong direction.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Scott72

I have a 1995 Tahoe with the same problem, just a slower leak. Mine is the last year of TBI, so it should be easier, but I'm still not looking forward to it. Everyone says that if you own a Blazer/Tahoe/Suburban up to 1999, it's not if you will be replacing the intake gasket, but when.....

Old 04-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intake:

JO: isn't that a plastic intake on the Tahoe 5.7 l ?

I have 95k miles and no probs. knok on woody.

Wannabe
Old 04-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered

The uppr plenum is plastic the lower is alum. I did'nt sepertare them, I just took off as a whole. Also there is a big alloy bracket for the a/c comp. To remove it You have to take the fan shroud off to remove the pressed on p/s/ pump pulley. Sounded like alot of work to me so I "modified" the bracket with a sawzall. saved me prolly a couple of hours.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where was it leaking into/on?

Was it losing the fluid? Had to be, that much the engine cannot "digest" through a cylinder.

Wow, I will watch for this on my Tahoe.

Wannabe
Old 04-29-2003, 01:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Boy, I sure do feel lucky. I've got a 95 Tahoe that just turned 183,000 miles this morning on the way to work. It's been tuned up once and I had to replace the alternator. Other than that- maintenance free I surely thought that I would have had to replace the engine by now, but I swear it still runs like it's brand new. Of course it will blow up on the way home tonight!!

Craig
Attached Thumbnails 96 tahoe prob.-pic2.jpg  
Old 04-29-2003, 01:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

I forgot to mention something that my Dad taught me. Changing the oil every 3000 miles does help. I towed my boat for 4 hours straight at 2800-3000 rpms a couple of weeks ago and got 13 mpg.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Scott72

That's great. I have 150K on mine. Runs great, burns almost no oil. The reason the leak started I think is because the overflow hose from the radiator to the overflow tank for clogged for a period of time with buildup. I think the pressure got high enough and the anti-freeze had to go somewhere (was also leaking out of the cap). Cleared the line but now leaks out of the front of the intake (but not in the oil). Dreading changing it......

Quick Reply: 96 tahoe prob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.