NJ noise laws - what's the real deal? >

NJ noise laws - what's the real deal?

Notices

NJ noise laws - what's the real deal?

Old 04-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ noise laws - what's the real deal?

Hi to all the NJ boaters with loud exhaust.

As usual the rule books, marine police and dealers do a good job of confusing you to what the real law is...

NJ Printed materials says;

All boats shall be equipped with a muffling device manufacturer or owner installed. It reads in another section 90dcbs measured at lowest throttle 4' directly above transome.

A Merc dealer told me that if it is stock from the manufacturer, it is legal.

Got pulled over by a Marine Statey last season training a new guy, he was very nice. asked me to open the hatch and pointed out that my corsa switchable thru-hulls are "illegal". He let me go without a hassle.

A friend of mine spoke with another Mareine Statey official in Trenton during the slow speed meeting and he said that what we were running WAS legal.

Good grief! I have a 96 Baja 302 with 502 mag mpi with corsa switchable exhaust. The overhanging transome keeps it form being too loud. I'm not going to change it just want to know how quick I have to be with the switch!
Old 04-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went around this block backon NJ before I left, due to a law suit from a neighbor.

Must have an installed muffler device, that can not be by-passed by the operator and must be below 90db at 50ft at idle.

Now that the official line. I never once got stoped for noise with with the OuterLimits or playing this the race boat, which I kept at the house an entire season for my neighbors listening pleasure.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Thanx,

So it's mufflers AND 90dcbs then. I don't get hassled, I live on the Shrewsbury in Oceanport NJ and there are not too many performance boats up here compared to the Barnegat. I try not to drive like a punk because most people can find me and my boat on the lift!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I just heard that the police will be looking for mufflers this year. Non switchables. The noise test is too hard to do properly plus they need the noise meters. They will be looking for the external mufflers on you pipes.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a sound meter from a Coast Guard guy I wanna try it out real soon. so I have the boat at idle 50ft away ?
Old 04-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

you know, you just reminded me, that's what the statey said to me. He was pretty cool about it and said try to keep them switched when close to the public. I just have to be quick on that switch, that's all.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I thought the test was WOT at 50ft.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so if you pull the fuse to the hatch what do they do? oops officer
the actuator is broken again
Ive done this on the truck that has limo tint I have a switch that kills the windows they can get them back up to test them then they feel sorry for me cause my power windows are broken

do they bother SmallBlocks with switchables
they not that loud anyways ?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

wwwTOPDJcom, I like that !

How about adding a dumby switch to the dash and mark it for the power hatch . That way you can say ,"**** , whats wrong with this thing now " ! And not open it ! They would probably give you a ticket for faulty equipment !

My hatches are manual and none of my switches are marked . I could try that one . Maybe they won't see the blowers and everything else that would get them fired up !
Old 04-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Whats the deal with boat registration this year??? I just got mine in the mail and the price almost doubled from last year. Last years cost was $26 and this year is $51!!!

What the F%&K!!!!

It's not like we have inspection stations for boats, and need to pay state employees to do inspections.

Panther

Quick Reply: NJ noise laws - what's the real deal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.