Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help!.. In St pete and have a problem! >

Help!.. In St pete and have a problem!

Notices

Help!.. In St pete and have a problem!

Old 05-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help!.. In St pete and have a problem!

I took the boat out today and ran around the bay and to Eggmont today and while running up the the pass next to shell island I cut it a bit short. You guessed it I ingested some sand(OK a LOT) into the strainer... The boat got hot so I stopped, emptied the strainer and then tried to continue.. it still was getting hot. I stopped again in the pass and attempted to take the raw water pump off without success. After reassembly I limped to the Fort Desoto launch and had good ole mom bring the truck there from the launch where I came from.

After getting to her house where I am staying, I got the raw water pump off and checked it, hoping to find it eaten up... it was fine... I then reverse flushed the sea strainer and got a good clean flow out of the drive with no water wanting to come back up the hose I was feeding through. I also did the same for the engine....All the hoses I checked had no sand in them and where clean..

So, bottom line.. ya think I will be OK to run tomorrow? I would LIKE to enjoy a day on the water!

Oh, yeah.. its a 2001 PowerQuest with a lil ole 7.4 MPI and Bravo drive... Someone HELP! PLEASE!
Old 05-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Troutly

Not a bad idea... Wonder if i can run down to the local auto parts store and get one, or if I need to get one from a mercruiser dealer. That and the gasket....hmmmm

Last edited by ChrisK; 05-25-2003 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Mike

I just had issues getting the hoses off the back of it while on the water.... I got it apart(it is right now) in the driveway... I looked at the impeller and it looks brand new(because it is/was)... So I dont think that is the problem. I am just hoping that there isnt sand some place else...
Old 05-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

I did backflush the engine and drive.. SO I am hoping all will be well tomorrow.... Thanks for the offer mike, if you ever find yourself in Orlando let me know...

Oh.. hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

The one thing I forgot to add was that at or under 3000 RPM's it would not overheat, only when I opened it up or went above 3000 for any length of time.

Time to go reassemble the pump... <sigh> I hope this is it...
Old 05-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris,
Since you're pump looked good and your temps were fine at low rpms, it does sounds like a messed up T-stat....supplying enough water at low rpms but choking off at higher rpms. Clean out all that junk and you should be okay.....

Channels are a man's best friend here!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, you going out today?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an oil cooler? If so make sure you check to make sure it is clear.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Gold Member

OK well I pulled the T stat and it was clear and clean. I drained every part of the block, the exhaust, strainer, pump... every petcock I could find. I has some sand in the right side of the motor that came out when I pulled the petcock out... Not a lot, but some with the petcock removed I ran more water through the block to flush it out more. I also ran the boat on the hose in the driveway... I had to insert the hose into the line running from the strainer to the motor as I forgot to bring my flusher. It got up to about 170 degrees but not over.... I ran it up to 4000 RPM for a minute and still not overheating. Time to get cleaned up and run over to a lake here to see if it will run OK.

CCARLOS..... I do not believe there is an oil cooler... At least one I can see...