Sail Boaters VS Power Boaters

Notices

Sail Boaters VS Power Boaters

Old 05-02-2003, 02:28 PM
FFO
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sail Boaters VS Power Boaters

I was wondering If sail boaters in your area hate power boaters. Sail boaters always give me dirty look's .
Old 05-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're certainly not the only one.
It's a lot like that here. They tend to wave back the least out of any other group that I encounter. Most times, I too get the dirty stare down. There are a small number of sailers that are okay, though. Once in a while, I get to talking to a sailboater and they seem genuinely intrigued in our boats and are nice people. Likewise, given the benefit of the doubt, I give them a certain respect for what the enjoy takes great skill and knowhow.

A lot of times, however sad, most do seem to turn their chin up and not bother acknowledging you.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I wave to a lot of sail boats and they ususally wave back. Some don't but who cares. Most are pretty friendly on the Sound, after all, we all share the same passion for the water.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones that don't wave back are just pi$$ed because they can't go as fast as us .

Seriously though , I usually try to give them enough room as possible...almost out of waving distance anyway
Old 05-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Mr. Demeanor

They should wave. The quicker we burn through our fossil fuels, the sooner their boats will appreciate in value.

Old 05-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Registered

Maybe they are upset because you "cut them off". Blow Boaters have the right-of-way on the water. Just steer clear of them and they won't care about you.

FWIW, we have a friend with a 45-foot Hunter on Lake Travis. It takes a while (at 1 knot) to get to party cove, but we are partying all the way there!
Old 05-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Registered

I usually give them as much room as i can, so i cant tell whether theyre waving with a hand or a finger.....

I try to give them as much respect as i expect from them. I grew up with tons of sailboaters, and theyre mostly decent people.

2 summers ago one of the local yacht clubs set up a regazza right in front of the Brielle bridge over the Manaqsquan river on one of the most crowded weekends i can remember. This is one of the busiest inlets on the east coast, top of the inland waterway and all. Power boats were literally crashing into each other to avoid them. All power boaters got dirty looks that day. We realize that they have the right of way, but what kind of ass sets up a course that crosses this busiest of channels on 2 of its legs.......

Last edited by McGary911; 05-02-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really irks me when they purposely are on the wrong side of the channel expecting "us" to get out of the way when thier sails are down using kicker power. I respect anybodys wishes on peace and quiet but when your trying to sleep at night and hear that fustrating "clank clank" noise from thier lines hitting the mast repeatedly, that really pisses me off!
Old 05-03-2003, 06:10 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't mind them at all if they would only stop trying to make everything a no wake zone...
Attached Thumbnails Sail Boaters VS Power Boaters-barneybaynw.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

cig 1988, I agree, they are loud at night, we are loud during the day.
If they are running an engine, even with the sails up, they are a power boat and no longer haver the right of way.

Quick Reply: Sail Boaters VS Power Boaters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.