Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Insurance - Your experience please >

Boat Insurance - Your experience please

Notices

Boat Insurance - Your experience please

Old 05-02-2003, 03:00 PM
mlitefan

So far, my experience sucks. I am buying a 2000 Sunsation 288 with a stock 502 and so far, the cheapest quote has been $1150.00.

I have NO speeding tickets, great credit...This SUCKS. The insurance industry is about as unorganized as any out there. I tried to get it through a company that another board member has his exact SAME boat through, only his is one year NEWER and he has MORE HP's and I was told they wouldn't insure my new boat due to the fact that it is "a high performance boat"

The insurance industry needs to get their act together.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my "stuff" insured by State Farm since 1980. Boat's been on since we got it in 1986. We've made 3 boat claims to date (each $1,000+) and never had any problems. We have an "agreed value" policy which I review every year with my agent. I'm a big fan of this kind of policy because there is absolute certainty how much they will payout in event of a total loss. BTW- they do require documentation of any improvements if it's a restored or refurbished vessel (like mine).

I think the agent is one of the most important parts of any insurance policy. A good one will go to bat for their customer, even when it's against company policy (it happened to me!).
Old 05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat I had a problem with State Farm was a cat. The others I know of were also cats. This might have been the problem, but they should not have approved the policy, accepted our money, and then cancelled us 4 months later.

We sent pictures, disclosed hp, and speed prior to having the policy approved. our agent went to bat for us, but they still said "we don't insure those kinds of boats".
Old 05-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sound to me like it was your agent who screwed you over. They should know and understand the policys they write- it's their freakin' job for cryin' out loud. If the company policy excludes cats (or any other specific kind of boat) the agent should know it and explain to the customer why they can't insure him.

I wonder how many bad agents have soured perfectly good customers because of their own ignorance and lost future business

Last edited by arks; 05-02-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 43Thunder
[B]I have PMed Sy in Jan 03 and April 03 and have not heard from him. Is it just us???

Ever since his half-brother, catmando has left the board, he has not been his self.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use State Farm for insurance on all the toys, autos, and homeowners and have never had any problem with them even throughout a claim process.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Registered

See the OSO links section under insurance, two great companies. Personal experience with both.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:24 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing but bad in the last year.37 ol with trips.seems like it's uninsurable.sy had the boat until the company quit writing hp insurance.so i started getting quotes from different insurance agents.only to find out how crooked the insurance companies really are. their are only a hand full of companies that will write hp boats.the first agent will call all companies for your quote,and at the same time it locks out any other agent from getting a quote from the same company.then your stuck with only the first person you called.it's a game only at your expense,and you can't do anything about it.markell quoted me 4500.00 a year.i mailed 1/2 down.and then kept raising the price every couple of weeks with out writing a policy.a policy shows up at 6500.00,i get mad & cancel the insurance.they short me over 500.00 on a more than fare refund. now i have to find an agent that can get a quote from an insurance company that no other agent can lock out.sy has been the only agent that treated me fair in my mind.world wide marine underwriters in michigan locked me out of all companies,and made in almost impossible to find insurance.all the response i got from them on the shortage in my mind of 500.00 was (i thought it was taken care of).they did nothing but give me a false quote in writing from markell & would not stand behind me for a fair prorated refund. so i say careful with the way you look for insurance it could cost you a bunch. this same bull**** also applies to any commercial truck insurance.not only hp boat insurance.p.s i did find a home at blackadar. in regards to state farm insurance.i have heard more stories about them not insuring cigarette type boats.and then you hear some people have state farm because they insure alot of stuff for a lot of money in premium so state farm will insure them.its all bull****!insurance companies have a monopoly on the market.my suggestion is to talk to as many boaters that have boats like yours before you talk to any kind of insurance agent.!!!!only my 2 cents thats all i have left.

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 05-02-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While we're on the subject of insurance I'm just curious what people do regarding supercharger add ons after the fact. Just pretend it's not there and hope you never have a claim (which they would probably deny if they found out about the no-disclosure)! Or if you tell them about the changes, what kind of reaction and rates did you receive??????? Steve
Old 05-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered

Allstate has been good to me.

Had a tree from a tornado fall on my old 1988 Force 320, adjuster was out within 48 hrs and was more than fair in settling the claim.
They now insure my new Baja Boss 342 for $1500 a year when the next lowest quote was $3900 from Progressive.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Boat Insurance - Your experience please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.