If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    1990 Cigarette Bullet
    Austin, Texas
    It could be my lack of blue blazer with an ascot.......
    LMAO @ TooOld!

AT Cult Member #3 VIP Member R Addiction's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
    In the Chesapeake Bay, they tend to be an arrogant bunch. I don't wave, give them plenty of room, and if the rag is down you're fair game .

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT
    F-Them and the dog they ride on.

Having owned both at about the 30' range, I would say the problems I had with power boats were not speed or sound. The problems were the waves created and particularly the powerboaters not giving enough room or causing me to have to come about when I didn't have to. It's hard to do anything fast on a sailboat ... give then as much room as possible. Although we might consider a cruisers large wake an "opportunity", it is a nightmare to a sailboat.

My Boats:
    1998 Powerplay 25
    Miami, FL
    I've noticed the same thing. I try to stay clear of them as much as I can just not to be an A-hole. But they have that preception of us because of a few guys (which I have seen) that will blow by an anchored sailboat at 80 MPH. I mean really close. Scares the sh*t out of them. It's just like the situation with Personal Water Craft. A few guys have ruined it for all of us here in So Fla. Biscayne National Park has officially banned PWC. On the other hand I can't imagine what kind of person would be on a boat at the mercy of wind with a top speed of 5 MPH at best. Hey... maybe they are the Save the Manatee foundation !!

I do quite a bit of sailing as well, actually, a little racing too. I can see the bad image they get though, but some of the guys that my Dad has been sailing with for years and years always ask me for rides in my 75mph24 OUtlaw as well. They love it. Just a matter of who you are around. They love the water as much or more than powerboaters, so anything on the water is usually really cool to them. Certainly have your a-holes though, but so do us powerboaters.

Really the only thing that pisses me off if I am sailing is if I get buzzed....and that could be by a pontoon or a powerboat, makes no difference. You ability to manuever is handicapped, part of the challenge.

Knock it all you want, but I gaurantee if I took you out on a Hobie Cat in 20 knot winds you would absolutely love it. Also, it makes you learn to read the water very well and understand some of the maritime procedures.

Just stay away from them and all will be well.

Platinum Member Platinum Member buckknekkid's Avatar
    My Boats:
    311 SR1, and a bunch of engines and parts
    OAKVILLE, Ontario
    Originally posted by Allan4

You ability to manuever is handicapped, part of the challenge.

Hide the toilet paper when the Blow Boters show up. they are really handicapped and pissed at the world because of it.

when I think of sailboaters the phrase,"hey you scratched my anchor" comes to mind

My Boats:
    29 Fountain
    oshawa ontario
    I  Voted
    A friend of mine who has worked in several marinias on Lake Ontario and the Thousand Islands says the sailboaters are notoriously cheap, goes on about how they think "The wind is free and everything should be too......" he much prefers the powerboaters........I give them as much room as I can...but I do that for everybody.
    Wilerty: why is a wave (or wake) such a disaster?

OSO Content Provider Commercial Member SHARKEY-IMAGES's Avatar
    Originally posted by twinn29
    Wilerty: why is a wave (or wake) such a disaster? [/B]
    Cause they are afraid they may spill their Martini...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast