Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Attn.... All Cat Owners,please Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49096-attn-all-cat-owners-please-help.html)

BAD HTM SR 24 05-03-2003 08:49 AM

Attn.... All Cat Owners,please Help

Nobody will insure my boat because it is a cat,and under 26 ft.Right now my boat sits with no insurance on it and i am definitely not going to take it out on the water.I have called every insurance company i can think of,they will insure it for about 2 weeks then i get a letter in the mail saying that the hull doesn't fit their configurations and cancel me.I was paying one company $2600.00 a yr and they cancelled me after 2 weeks WTF.There has to be someone who will insure my cat.I hope the board can help me find some insurance.
Todd

Cord 05-03-2003 08:55 AM

I currently have mine registered with State Farm as a Tri-hull. God help me if I had to put a claim in...

mopower 05-03-2003 09:39 AM

Maybe you could be a litle more honest and say "bi-hull" :rolleyes:

SteveS 05-03-2003 11:22 AM

try Bill at Blackadar Marine
www.blackadarmarine.com

Jolley 05-03-2003 03:04 PM

If you are a long time home insured person, you should be able to get agreed value (read; marine survey) coverage and 1 million 'big screw up' liability. The whole thing revolves around how it is presentented, be honest, just don't brag.. It's a family boat with a motor and a speed...... Keep that in mind! Good luck. Call
Sy Golberg, he's on here occasionally he can assist.:eureka:

Cord 05-03-2003 04:11 PM

Actually, I'm quite honest. My boat has a center sponson. Therefore it's technically a tri-hull. It's kinda like trying to classify a mod-vp bottom. Is it a V-bottom or is it a cat? When it comes to bench racing it's a cat. When it comes to insuring, it's a v-bottom.

packinair 05-03-2003 08:57 PM

I was with state farm untill I was dropped when they got the pictures of my boat and dropped me and told me even if it would have "snuck through" they would not have honored the claim. the best I have found and damn near the only was Karlton Kilby at boat US affilate program.. he is a really nice guy and he can be reached at 1-888-765-51400. tell him scott with the sanger alleycat from toledo sent you to him and I am sure he will be more than happy to help you out..

BAD HTM SR 24 05-04-2003 12:12 AM

Thanks for all of the info so far guys,i will be making some phone calls Monday morning.Could of used my boat today, 70 degrees and sunny but no way i am using it until it has insurance on it.Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.I do have over 30 houses insured with my agent now, i will mention this Agreed Value thing to him.

Thanks
Todd

bouyhunter 05-04-2003 06:07 AM

I nearly bought my first boat until I found out it was uninsurable. A 25' Hawiian jet drive with over 600 HP in it. My insurance agent (friend of the family) searched for a carrier for it. She told me the only coverage I could get was through Loyd's of London. (they insure things like Michael Jordans hands or something like that...).
It was gonna cost me as much for insurance as the it did for the boat. I got out of that deal fast! Too steep for me - considering I still had to put gas in it.
Good luck in your search for an ins. carrier - I'm sure someone can cover you reasonably.

Shane 05-04-2003 06:33 AM

Mine is through Markel. My neighbor wrote it for me and saved BIG money. Try Sy Goldberg, he's a good guy and participates here on OSO. His OSO name is Sy Goldberg. He owns Total Dollar Insurance. Also, Buzz at PMA and OSO sponsor. Good luck.