Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49157-38zx-donzi-sonic-42-one.html)

Reckless32 05-05-2003 12:14 PM

Excellent insight guys. Hey Nauti-Props I hope this post is helping shed some light on your decision.....;)

Sydwayz 05-05-2003 12:40 PM

btw, last I knew, Sonic had a 5 year hull warranty too.

Reckless32 05-06-2003 11:12 AM

Donzi has that "Z-care" warranty which I believe is just a factory sponsored extended warranty and is built into the cost...

45sonic 05-06-2003 03:37 PM

Sonic definitely.

The 358 and the 386 Sonic are the same cabin wise just a larger cockpit in the 386 for the possible triple engine installation. The 42 and the 45 are the same cabin same with the cockpit but with longer engine room on the 45.

Good luck

Reckless32 05-06-2003 09:54 PM

:D :D

Vyper340 05-07-2003 12:08 PM

Sonic has my vote hands down! Both were very nice but the 42 was MUCH nicer, had better build quality, awesome graphics (made the Donzi look vanilla envelope in comparison), and sounded better because the sound did not go through Corsa mufflers.

Sydwayz - the 42 that you mention at OP was the one we all saw in Miami and the one that we tested last Friday. It was AWESOME!!!

To all - As I said during and after the Miami show this past year, the 42 Sonic was my #1 choice with Active Thunder in close chase for my next boat. Naturally I would like a Cigarette but I don't want to spend $300k plus on a Top Gun, but that's not reality to me when I have so many other expensive toys/habits.

Good luck with your decision NautiProps (Greg)!

Nauti-Props 05-07-2003 05:54 PM

I sold my formula today, so its time to make the decision. If I can get the right numbers I will be placing my order for the 38ZX next week. Thanks again to everyone who gave their opinions. The decision to go with Donzi was determined by several factors:
1. Overall styling
2. Contemporary proven hull design that has been reengineered to offer an even better ride, midrange and topend.
3. Donzi reputation which also includes better resale.
4. Transferrable 5 year Z Care warranty.
5. Steve Simon and the rest of the gang at Donzi. Among the high performance ownership/mangaement Donzi clearly has some outstanding individuals running the show. They have always answered their phones or promptly called me back whenever I had a question. Jerry McCollough was also great to work with to design the color scheme.
6. The chance to beat Vyper 340 (especially in the rough stuff)

I am looking to have delivery by mid July and I will post some pics then.
Nauti-Props

audacity 05-07-2003 07:31 PM

NP...your going to be VERY please in every way with your purchase!!!...if ya get a chance come on out to a race!!!

knowing what i know now....i'm even more envious of your purchase!

one thing that i do not agree with........your #5 should be moved to #1.....the people behind the products are more important than the product sometimes!!! and #6 is moot! LOL

Nauti-Props 05-07-2003 08:07 PM

Audacity,
I agree with your comments about moving number 5, but number 6 has a long, long history. Someday I'll explain...for now my new Cayenne S can kick his X5, now I need something for his M3.

I look forward to seeing you guys on the race course. I am an avid fan of Donzi race efforts and I know Steve is proud of your initial race results. Congrats and I hope you get a National Championship in F2

Nauti-Props

Donzi38ZX 05-07-2003 10:59 PM

NP,

Congratulations. Next time you talk to Steve Simon tell him we need some Donzi gear.

Steve