Notices

Problems with Imco

Old 04-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Problems with Imco

I'm taking a poll of which boats, size and horsepower have Imco SC's and are having troubles with them, and what type of action was taken for the blame, was it to much horsepower, weight of boat, abuse, or we use merc gears they are the problem, and every 50 hrs they go bad. I'll start it off.

2003 37 A.T. with KE 675's, I was told to heavy of a boat, to much hp, and both drives need to be rebuilt, whats the chances of that happening, Both Drives. Only 49 hrs, and it amazes me that the same identicle boat with 56 hrs with xr's not a problem.

This is a company that advertises, The toughest, most durable high-performance bravo-style units available. These drives are engineered from top to bottom, with upgraded gears, bearings and shafts. So by their slogan "We are the Innovator not the Immatator" if thats the case don't blame it on bad over wearing Merc. parts, whether they are bad castings are not and take responsibility and fix your stuff, your name is on it.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post.

I don't have a IMCO but thought about adding them to the next boat?? If they are not standing behind them??? My understanding (from Advertising) IMCO should be stronger than a XR, if so 675 should not be too much HP, And a 37 AT only tips the scales under 9000lbs, is not a heavy boat for the size??

My thoughts, 50 hours and need a rebuild, kiss my ass and replace with something else.

WILL
Old 04-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Scorer83

Well, your boat manufacturer should have assisted you in your decision to match the drives to horsepower to weight of the boat. They should also help you get the situation fixed as well. Go the distance, DO NOT take any BS.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One call can solve it all!
Attached Thumbnails Problems with Imco-stern.jpg  
Old 04-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Registered

I have read on this board about the Imco SC's not holding up. I also know that Imco is addiment about "NO WARRANTEE" on their drives.

They claim to be a high performance manufacturer but their drives cannot hold up on a 37 AT with 675s??? That is a light boat with mild HP as far as I am concerned!!!! Hell, my bravo 1s have handled 650 HP in a 30' Sonic for 2 seasons!

Maybe they should market their drives as an upgrade for Alphas and small blocks instead of Bravos.

I hope you get this straightened out. Hopefully AT can assist you in this. If a major builder stops using their product due to failures, the word will spread fast.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I read on here,

They are rip off's and sell junk and false advertising should come to mind when i read the ad i see in my PB mag!

Good 1 small block aplha replacement
Old 04-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

My cousin has a 42 Fountain and put two Imcos on last spring. Lasted a couple of weeks and on literally came apart (upper). Someone obviously didn't tighten something properly. They stood behind it. Got it back and proceeded to break a yolk on the input shaft. OOPS , no warrentee \. Of course it took out the bellows and some other surrounding parts.
I'm putting in two 625hp 540's in front of plain ole Bravos and will see what happens. Should be done in another week or two.
I've heard other stories like Pure energy's with regular Bravos holding up. I think a lot of has to do with the throttle man
Old 04-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may look at Max Machine Worx . I’ve got two with about 650 HP in front of them. About 150 hours and no broken drives yet. Really nice people to deal with too.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Active Thunder has tried today to no avail, but knowing Pat, No is not an answer for innadaquecy, its easier to blame it on the Merc. parts and how they don't hold up, to much B.S. for me, if thats the case why use them, they handled the individule parts and placed them in their drives and then state we at Imco engineer our drives from top to bottom with upgraded gears, berings and shafts, So what that appears to me is Merc. keeps the good parts for themselves, the XR's on an Identicle powered boat are fine with 56 hrs, come'on. The unfortunate situation is the attitude and arrogance, not even a phone call back from Fred, I have left two messages and one of his dealers Total Marine and Performance in Slidell who are great guys and service my Thunder are disgusted on the way they have been treated on this situation, especially with all the business they have gotten from them this year alone, and they are presently building 24 motors, I guess Imco is to big and doesn't care about their customers or dealers.

Keep the comments coming, I really want to know who's boat is to heavy or powerful and the drives held up or didn't, thanks Jeff Jassby
Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the "bad parts from Mercury" story too.
There really was a bad run of pinion gears out there...and it looks like IMCO ended up with quite a few???
What are the series numbers on your drives? mine are in the 150's....bad parts.
Its was funny how they told me the boat was to big and I had too much power and all...A buddy of mine has XR's on a 42 Tiger with blown 540 Bulldogs at around 700-725hp and has no issues.
I know its a repackaged XR and all but I like the fact that it has a better/ridgid upper with a built in drive shower and 8 bolt top cap.
Not to mention a shorter lower at the time.
All those high power(1000+hp) boats you see running IMCO SC's i believe are the 4X4 setups.....
Since they did fix the one that went bad with a slight threat to cry out loud on the OSO i had no more issues.
We ran the boat hard a few more times late summer with higher boost levels hitting 90mph.
I had the other looked at, swapped out the pinion for a new one and ran it on the other side...the oil looked ok out of that one at seasons end.
The one that IMCO fixed im going to have looked at and have the gears replaced since that oil looked dark, when boat comes back from Mitcher T.
What were the problems with your SC's?
Whos fixing them?

Quick Reply: Problems with Imco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.