Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   racing today and yesterday (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49311-racing-today-yesterday.html)

WATERBOY2 05-07-2003 03:24 PM

T2x,
I agree with all your points, but especially with the single outboard vee class.Do you think there are enough boats around to get it going again at least here in the N.E.?

Stock Outboard Vee or Stock 1 (S1-).....

21-22 FT production vee/max 225HP any manufacturer.

Might be a way to bring alot of new people into the sport.I think OPA was considering something like this.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

T2x 05-07-2003 03:46 PM

Re: very comical

Originally posted by THEJOKER
Rich:

Here you go again! No fan base? The new Super V class is not gaining a fan base? A Skater V- Bottom VS Fountains VS Phantoms VS Cigarettes - etc. Poker Runs? Tell Rick Turmel he's running a Poker Run when they're sliding that Fountain in the turns in Marathon. So I guess the fan base was better back in the 80's when boats were broken down and lost at sea? In 1999 there were (2) Open Class boats running and then Alcone went to Europe and left Drambuie to run as a exibition class - BH

Brian.....

Factory class racing is great........but not on TV......

I didn't mention Rick T. (whom I respect and have known for years)......

I didn't say the fan base was better...(or worse) than the 80's (although we were on ABC)..... A fan base is defined for marketing/sponsor purposes as a group of people who understand the sport well enough to find it and follow it on TV ............... not see it once a year when the "circus" rolls into their town. This base.......is NOT growing.....because they (me...you) can't comprehend the classes, personalities, or competition.

Open class in 1999 was indicative of nothing I mentioned. Super Cat had better engines during the first year....and have been de-nutted since....and I believe that is dangerous....... I also believe the cockpits allowed currently can be improved......and some of them allow for grave injuries.

I suggest you stop being defensive.......... and open your mind to the possibility that the sport under anyone's direction.....is FAR from perfect.

I told you, I'm on no organization's "side"......... I'd just love to see someone get it right.

T2x

P.S. I'm glad you find me comical......... Because he who laughs last........

T2x 05-07-2003 03:51 PM

Originally posted by WATERBOY2
T2x,
I agree with all your points, but especially with the single outboard vee class.Do you think there are enough boats around to get it going again at least here in the N.E.?

Stock Outboard Vee or Stock 1 (S1-).....

21-22 FT production vee/max 225HP any manufacturer.

Might be a way to bring alot of new people into the sport.I think OPA was considering something like this.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

There are at least 30-40 guys on Long Island alone with single engine 21-24 foot Challengers, Superboats, Shadows, Progressions, Sutphens, Velocities....etc that race around like lunatics. Give them a shot ...and a class....and they will come.

That's where Joey Imprescia, JD Delia, George Linder, The Kalibats, JT, and bunch of others, all got their feet wet.

T2x

T2x 05-07-2003 03:56 PM

Originally posted by C_Spray
Small Open class fields = thrilling exhibition, but more of a technical exercise between a few teams.
Current Super Cat/Super V = 20 mph slower, but very few fans can tell from shore. Way more potential winners. Better racing.

Yes.......but are these the only two choices?????

Can't we have a closely matched "spec" engine with some mid range torque?????? Or is the current formula God's final solution?

It's sad that the engines are "sponsor" based.....not racer based.

T2x

T2x 05-07-2003 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Fever Mike
T2x, I actually kinda of agree with you for once on something. AMAZING! I would love to see a class of 21-22' boats with a single outboard on them racing in the USA. They do this I'm sure you know in Europe. Cheap and exciting racing. .

Mike Carter

Mike:

You've agreed with me on most things....... until the LLC topic came up........

Things that make one cock an eyebrow....eh?

T2x

T2x 05-07-2003 04:02 PM

However there is room in P-Class if people started wanting to run these style of boats. So far no one has showed up at a race sight with one yet.

Mike Carter

Is there actually a 21-24 foot single engine class????? I honestly can't tell. But, the fact that no one has "showed up" at a race sight with one.....reflects a failure on whose part...the guy with the boat...or the race producers?

T2x

T2x 05-07-2003 04:04 PM

As a fan, I like the closer beach racing and the shorter courses of today but also I would have loved to have been in a helicopter on some of the Miami to Nassau races back in the 70's and 80's.

I was talking to a friend the other day and we thought that it would be great if say before the Bahama race on Friday there could be a race that had the old 41 Apaches and big Cigarette boats that ran a old style race from Miami to Nassau. Run it kind of like the antique sports car races we see on the Speed Channel.
This would be a great way to kick off the Key West races too with the big old 41 Apache's and Cig's leaving Miami and race down to Key West of Friday.
Mike Carter

Mike....... The original Miami-Nassau races were in the 60's....( John Crouse ran a couple 20 years later for BIGGG boats ( 55' Magnums...50' Buzzi's ...etc) mainly. The 41 Apaches never raced much further than Bimini in '86. The biggest problem is the inability to cover the course with Medical and Safety helicopters....... and people do actually get lost.

T2x

WATERBOY2 05-07-2003 04:06 PM

T2x,
I remember those guys racing the single outboard boats in the NPBA/APBA A Class.The Kalibats in the "K&K Ghost" and J.D Delia in "Breakaway" were worth going to watch a race to just to see how fast they would run those boats in big water....often blowing by big inboard powered vees!!!!!!!!If these guys really want to race, I hope the OPA will offer them a class.

P6.... to 69mph/24ft/single o/b

T2x 05-07-2003 04:10 PM

Originally posted by WATERBOY2
T2x,
I remember those guys racing the single outboard boats in the NPBA/APBA A Class.The Kalibats in the "K&K Ghost" and J.D Delia in "Breakaway" were worth going to watch a race to just to see how fast they would run those boats in big water....often blowing by big inboard powered vees!!!!!!!!If these guys really want to race, I hope the OPA will offer them a class.

P6.... to 69mph/24ft/single o/b

Yeah....... but, of course they could never beat Audacity;)

T2x

BODYSHOT1 05-07-2003 04:12 PM

Billy Frenz mentioned at the meeting that he would talk to his guys about getting involved with OPA....I'd assume the smaller boats are included in that group.....

Could be Fun!!

:cool: