Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   racing today and yesterday (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49311-racing-today-yesterday.html)

GrinandBarrett 05-12-2003 08:10 AM

Re: G&B

Originally posted by ScottB
I personally love to watch you guys run. Having raced inboard, we used to race with you guys and I got hooked.

Good luck this year
Scott

Thanks Scott

If you don't have any races on these weekends we will be racing in FL on these dates and places. Anyone in the area come on by I'd like to meet you. Good luck to you also, If anyone has an event happen in Wisconsin this year let me know so I can try to swing by.

Matthew

SEPTEMBER 27-28
Punta Gorda, FL

OCTOBER 11-12
Sanford, FL
Seminole, County

BROWNIE 05-12-2003 09:28 AM

T2x, I went to the recent Bubba race on Miami Beach. There was nothing in the Miami Herald or the Ft. Laud. paper announcing the race. I felt badly about that and decided to boost the publicity for the next race (I know the girl from the Herald personally). Then I went to the race and saw 17 boats that started two hours late, and was glad that more people did not witness 17 boats in about 14 classes motoring around. I never bothered to unholster my binoculars. What a rotten show!

T2x 05-12-2003 09:32 AM

Originally posted by BROWNIE
T2x, I went to the recent Bubba race on Miami Beach. There was nothing in the Miami Herald or the Ft. Laud. paper announcing the race. I felt badly about that and decided to boost the publicity for the next race (I know the girl from the Herald personally). Then I went to the race and saw 17 boats that started two hours late, and was glad that more people did not witness 17 boats in about 14 classes motoring around. I never bothered to unholster my binoculars. What a rotten show!
Good Mornin' Mr. Brown:

Would you say that racing reaches critical mass when 14 boats race in 17 classes?

If so, we are on the cusp of fusion;)

T2x

BROWNIE 05-12-2003 09:50 AM

T2x,

The most commercial of the water sports, U-boats and F1 tunnels race together and publicize the heck out of themselves. They are hardly Nascar class fan base. I think that our only shot is to stop bickering between the ASSociations, and all run together. Nothing else is gonna work.

Shane 05-12-2003 09:54 AM

T2x,

The most commercial of the water sports, U-boats and F1 tunnels race together and publicize the heck out of themselves. They are hardly Nascar class fan base. I think that our only shot is to stop bickering between the ASSociations, and all run together. Nothing else is gonna work.

Mr. Brownie,

I think that would be a great place to start!:)

T2x 05-12-2003 10:04 AM

T2x,

Great point...... I have always believed that the F1 tunnels will take off...BEFORE...offshore can reach any kind of success. I believe this because F1 is much more understandable to the TV viewer, has much better racing action, with constant position changes, course management ....and........talent.

I guess the point you raised about fan base size is the key. Someone (who does this for a living) should assess the ACTUAL fan potential here........detail the path to attracting that number.....and clearly show the fact that the existence of more than one sanctioning body will prevent the sport from ever advancing much beyond a rich man's diversion.

Warmest regards,

T2x

BROWNIE 05-12-2003 10:22 AM

I never knew why Offshore was so popular with the public in the 50's and 60's, considering that we took off at dawn and usually never came back! One lucky thing that happened was the fact that we had newspaper guys, magazine guys and other PR types actually racing and writing. Another was the fact that we were aligned with the rest of the world, had ony one association, and ONLY TWO CLASSES. Hell, I can tell you the World Champs' names from memory (back when it meant something). You must admit that it slightly dilutes the value of a championship when everyone you know claims to be world champs AND NONE OF THEM REALLY ARE!

T2x 05-12-2003 12:56 PM

I You must admit that it slightly dilutes the value of a championship when everyone you know claims to be world champs AND NONE OF THEM REALLY ARE!
Unfortunately...........ALL of them really are.

T2x............ Left handed, turbo diesel, tri hull, tractor drive, non stepped, under 2000 cu.in., aluminum sandwich construction, flat deck, with wing assist........World Champion...... (closed course).

Sean 05-12-2003 01:48 PM

t2x and brownie having a conversation about the future of offshore...pretty cool stuff...

too bad...egos and money get in the way of improving the sport.

THEJOKER 05-12-2003 02:21 PM

What is not being mentioned here is that forces have joined - atleast the racers have come together. After the lax rules and the problems last year (SCL Inboard / Inspections) many teams came over to APBA Offshore LLC. 80+ boats in Daytona - GM - Mercury - The New Super Vee Class - Super Cat - etc. Now here comes a great season of TV Shows on Speed Channel - BH