Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What seals a Bravo One upper to the bellhousing? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49607-what-seals-bravo-one-upper-bellhousing.html)

Ranman 05-09-2003 12:43 PM

What seals a Bravo One upper to the bellhousing?

Hello. I recently removed my Bravo One drive and am re-installing it. I've checked and greased the U Joints and gimbal bearing. I also checked the alignment using an alignment tool. All seems well, but what seals the drive to the bellhousing? I see an o ring around the drive oil valve assembly, but that looks like it. Are there any gaskest or seals that need to be replaced when reinstalling a Bravo drive to the bellhousing? The alpha has a gasket that slips over the 6 studs, but I don't see one for the Bravo. Thanks.

obnoxus 05-09-2003 01:38 PM

O rings on the face of the drive

Magicfloat 05-09-2003 01:44 PM

Just bolt her back on and you are ready to go

Sydwayz 05-09-2003 03:42 PM

Stop by your marina and pick up a Bravo1 installation kit. It only costs a few dollars and includes all the new o-rings and the oblong gasket you need. I just went through this. Also, Merc makes two different kinds of grease, Spline Grease, and U-Joint Grease. I sprung for both. It really helps if you have two people to re-install, unless you are a monster, or have a stand.

HiPerf2000 05-09-2003 04:09 PM

The O-ring kit comes with new O-rings for the input shaft, as well as the two (2) that are one the face of the drive where it meets the gimble. there is the one round one that you mentioned around the cable connection, and then there is a square looking one on the other side.

Waterfoul 05-09-2003 10:48 PM

Originally posted by formulafastech
2 "O" rings on the end of the input shaft, 1 "O" ring for the shift, 1 "O" ring for the drive resovior, and the large rectangular kinda shaped one for the water inlet. Glue on in, and bolt the drive up.
Exactly.

Done it (too) many times. It's a lot easier than you think!!!

'Foul

US1 Fountain 05-10-2003 02:21 AM

Dumb question,
but what is the 3rd o-ring for on the input shaft? Never could figure that one out. :rolleyes:

kwsundell 05-29-2006 12:08 PM

Re: What seals a Bravo One upper to the bellhousing?

If you have the new style drive coupler, the O ring seals around the extension to help keep the grease in.

MOP 06-03-2006 10:07 AM

A thin coat of non hardening sealer on the mating surface is a very good idea, I pulled my BravoX with less teh 20 hours in salt water and found a few tiny pits. Water does seep in between the two and will over time cause a corrosion problem.

Phil

Falcon 06-03-2006 04:18 PM

If you are asking what seals the water from the bellows, it's the edge of the bellows pushing against the forward edge on the upper gear housing. There was a problem with some bellows having too much of a "split line" mismatch causing some water seepage into the bellows, but I think that has been addressed now. The orings on the face are for sealing the shift, water passage, and oil valve.