Great lakes boating places??? >

Great lakes boating places???

Notices

Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys give me some Ideas for boating on the great lakes? I've been to "put in bay" on lake erie. What about navy pier chicago? Trying to plan summer weekends!!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Chicago pretty much sucks. Stick to the Michigan side of lake Michigan. South Haven, Grand Haven, Muskegan, Traverse City (personal favorite), beautiful marina in Elk Rapids, Charleviox, Petosky, Makinaw area, and the inland waterway from Cheboygan almost all the way to Petosky. Ive done all of those and would be happy to help if you need any info. Havnt been to Beaver Island yet. Traverse City for the air show during Cherry Festival is a blast but real crowded.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Registered

Are you guys planning any trips to traverse city?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Registered

Default Chicago Times

310'
Cant agree with Demeanor, Different strokes for different folks!Some of us from the southern parts of Lake Michigan enjoy a couple times a year to go navy pier and go down the river between the buildings and stop at some of the eat and drink spots along the river, we have met a lot of nice people along with a lot of oso members on these trips. We go thru the locks at So Chicago then come out under the Skyway back into Lake Michigan.On the way back home if we have time we stop at the one of the boats and try our luck. Makes a pretty good day!!
Just my 02 worth..

eliminator219
Old 05-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Registered

Default Mich Trips

In answer to your PM We have been to different places in Mich and had a great time, we have not been to Beaver Island but Yes to South haven and you should try Douglas.Im sure that the Mich people can give you hints as where to go in their state..
We have never been to Holland, Plan to vist there this summer..hope to hook up with you this summer>>
Regards,
eliminator219
Old 05-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered

come up on july 12 th and boat with us, there will be 10 or so of us we go from bay habor (petoskey) to beaver island (not much there, we make the trip a couple of times a year to eat dinner), to mackinaw island to cheboygan up the cheboygan river and into mullett lake to spend the night.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Door county, Wisconsin
Mackinaw, Michigan
Old 05-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Registered

yea all of thes are great ideas...I have hit Pentwater and that was great on a good weekend !!!! some good little bars and it is a clena little town !!!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like yzbert said!! come on up for the fun run and see alot of great places with people that know the area well!!From Holland south is OK but from Ludington north RULES!!!! I know I live here.....are you traveling with your family or single? It makes a difference the ports that are great for families might be boring for single guys.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

You can all do yourself a favor and skip Holland as a spot to stay for a weekend. There is nothing there to do if you are a powerboater. There are no municipal marinas. There is only one restaurant on the lake, and it's at the yacht club, which does not cater to loud, go-fast boats. If you are a sailboter they will welcome you with open arms. Saugatuck one port south or Grand Haven or Muskegon to the north are much better places to weekend on a powerboat. Grand Haven and Muskegon have many marinas with transient docks and there is a lot more to do in these ports than Holland. Further north Pentwater and Ludington are awsome spots for a weekend. Further than that is Traverse City which is awsome. You might consider staying at the port of Northport on the norther tip of Grand Traverse Bay. Very nice marina, friendly people, and a good ramp right in the marina. There are a couple of home cooking restaurants in town you can walk to, and the bakery has the BEST cinnamin twists in the morning!!!

'Foul

Oh, and I live here to like dyno. At one time or another, I've been in every Lake Michigan port in Michigan (spread out over about 25 years or so...) including Beaver Island. Nice place to visit for lunch or dinner. Crystal clear water. Kinda like being in the Carribean or something.

Last edited by Waterfoul; 05-05-2003 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Great lakes boating places???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.