If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Mr. Demeanor

Should I sell my boat in Great Lakes or wait till Florida move?

We are moving somtime this year to Florida. I have a 92 Four Winns Liberator that will hopefully be replaced by a center console sport fish. I know the boat market sucks for sellers now. I was thinking that I might have a better chance selling a clean fresh water only boat in Florida where they see salt and year round use. Any ideas?

When we were selling our last boat (also in the Great Lakes, Detroit area to be more specific), "everyone" told me that if it's not sold by the 4th of July, it won't sell at all. Of course, I bought our first boat in August, and sold the last one in December, so what do I know...

In any case, I've heard that freshwater boats bring a premium in Florida. I'd list it here, if you get what you want, great. If not, sell it down south...

My Boats:
    Building boats for you
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Freshwater boats are hard to find down here...
    But, I'd say put it up for sale now... and if it sells up there...great.
    If not, you have to haul it down here and try to unload it.
    The reality is that a small, older boat being a salt boat or fresh boat is probably only worth a few hundred bucks. Are you willing to hold onto the boat and drag it down here, and RETITLE it, all for $500???

on the other hand with a smallerboat like that and MI having the highest per capita watercraft ownership you might want to think about listing it hear.. what the hell why not try and sell it both places. I have to think the market in FL is alittle more flooded and you will be competing against boats priced far less and that is hard to over come even being a fresh water boat.. just my 1 cent

My Boats:
    1996 Wellcraft Scarab Sport & 1990 Donzi GT210
    Clearwater, Florida
    Boats here are a dime a dozen. Florida is definately a buyers market. Too many people come from the north and think they want to own a boat until they realize there is a lot of upkeep and many people don't use them often and soon sell them as they don't feel it is worth owning. Try to sell there if you can.

Mr. Demeanor
    I think the boats worth a few more bucks than $500. I'm asking $20K. Thanks for the input.