Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Moved to Ft. Myers. Who's my new boating buds!?!?! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49844-moved-ft-myers-whos-my-new-boating-buds.html)

Flyinbrian 05-12-2003 11:48 PM

Moved to Ft. Myers. Who's my new boating buds!?!?!

Just arrived last night, it was my third or fourth trip from Columbus, Ohio. Still have one more next month.

I am getting some charts and doing a thorough cleaning of the boat tomorrow.

I am planning on taking the wife out on the Gulf this weekend.

Where to go?
What to stay away from?
Anyone else living and boating in the area?

DanB 05-13-2003 04:05 PM

Welcome
You made a wise move. I think its a law down here that no one else can move here without a performance boat. :)
Hope you make it to the speed zone meeting tonite or you may need to trade what ya got for a Flats boat.
Goin racing this weekend in Marathon but you can see the SBI race here on Sun.
Give me a call anytime.

Dan
F1-83 Screamin Eagle
239 292 8335 days
239 277 3901 eves

groove 05-13-2003 04:41 PM

I hope to see you down there next year Flyinbrian. I'm working on the wife to try to ge tdown there. We went down a few weeks back and I'm working on a plan to get us in to Cape Coral. Have fun down there and tell me all about it!

ST31 05-13-2003 04:44 PM

Lucky you.... Wish I was able to live there.
ST31

Flyinbrian 05-13-2003 07:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome(s)!!

I keep hearing and reading about the manatee issue.

I was fully aware of it when moving down.
What a pain.
When I get settled in, you can count on me getting involved.
I just got in two nights ago and haven't seen my wife since FEBRUARY!!!!
I know that may sound like a great vacation to some, but man I really missed her.

Anyway,
Really wanted to make the Marathon race, but bad timing.

SBI? Here? Doing an internet search now! <---(EDIT) I AM LUCKY!! I just found out the race is like four miles from where I live!!!!

Good luck in Marathon!

Groove, get yourself and the wife down here! It's paradise!
No, wait, stay north. The 12 months of boating would stress you out. The lack of shoveling snow and driving in it would give you nothing to look forward to in the winter. Just kidding!

I am lucky, but this came with major sacrifices.
We somehow managed to keep all of our toys.
I walked away from eight years senoirity with a job that had tremendous benefits and pay. The pay is much less down here. We made a decision together to take a chance on happiness, because it sure as hell isn't located in Columbus, Ohio!!!

Life is short fellas.

Mate 229 05-13-2003 07:46 PM

Brian , good luck with your new life. I did the same thing about 15yrs ago and lived in Cape Coral (back when it was cheap to buy there). Had a house on a canal 3 blocks from the river and loved it. Go to Sport Boats on San Carlos Blvd, they are friendly performance dealer and can tell you about the area. Keep going past there and just before the beach bridge there is a resturant called teh Channel Mark, they used to have Thunder Sundays and tried to get performance boats in for the event every Sunday. They had Reggae music and some nice boats there. The back bays can have some shallow spots and oyster beds so be careful, the Gulf is great.
Have a blast and watch out for natures speed bumps aka Manatees. They are really screwing up boating down there.

Luv-N-It 05-13-2003 07:51 PM

Coming back in November?

Dang Brian, wondered where you have been...now I know what you have been doing. Glad to see ya back on the board! See at Alum Creek for the shoot-out:D

GO BUCKS:D

Mike 35 Fountain 05-13-2003 08:31 PM

Good luck with you're new move. It's really a nice area
I have a house in the Cape and I even get to visit it
once or twice a year. Plan on becoming a full time
floridian in about 18 months . When I do visit I"ll try
to contact you.

salesmanship 05-14-2003 08:25 AM

Brian,
Welcome, it's great to have more performance guys here.
If the water's not too big we'll probably raft up to watch the races this weekend.
On most weekends, we like to end up at the Channel Mark or The Bridge on Sundays. Hope to see you out there and if you get the chance come on by the shop.
Terry
Nor-Tech

LEOPAJM 05-14-2003 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We'll be down 5/23 - 6/1 .... Doing some serious CC (concept) shopping !!! and trying to move my 30 Scarab ....