If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    Active Thunder 25
    Toronto, Canada

Question Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

I have been eyeing a beautiful Pantera boat that fits within my limited price range. However, it has TRS drives which makes me nervous due to the ability to get parts.

I just got rid of my last boat because of an outdated King Cobra drive.

So I need help, would you buy a boat that has TRS drives?

Yes, I would and did, you can still buy most parts for TRS, just go to Doller Offshore, or BAM's website and look at the part listings, there are only a few parts that are no longer available. and unless you are putting tons of HP behind them, or badly neglecting them they are a very solid drive.

My Boats:
    20 Donzi Minx, 18 Donzi Classic
    Darien, CT
    TRS drives hold up very well and the parts are still available. There also alot of used parts\drives available too.

My Boats:
    Donzi Criterion
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Donzi has a TRS. Like they mentioned, parts are available if you know where to look. The MercII transmission may not be available, but all the wearable parts are available, from what i hear. Borg Warner makes a compatable transmission as well. TRS drives can handle a good amount of power, and the transmissions make them smoooooth shifters. Never gonna hear a grinding gear with this setup (unless you have bigger problems).

My Boats:
    38 Cig Flatdeck
    Arlington Hts. Il.
    What kind of HP will a TRS handle?
    What is the weak link the drive or the trany?

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ..........32........... Active Thunder
    Personally, I would not buy a boat with TRS drives. It has nothing to with the reliablity. It has to do with the fact that nobody around here has the expertise to work on them or the parts to fix them.
    If I trash a Bravo, I can find a new or used one at a reasonable price and be back on the water in few days. I've done it. Trashed a drive on Sun and on the water by Weds. With a TRS, it would probably be closer to a month.

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT

Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

If the deal is right;
    meaning cash left for a spare lower and tranny to cover time of rebuilts, when one goes t!ts up. And resale impact (I did say deal is right)

Charter Mod Charter Member BLee's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
    E Dock
    I  Voted
    Mack at Doller can get whatever you need for the TRS setup. The ole 92 had em. I blew 2 over 7 years. It was still smoother shifting than my new Gun!

I would not put TRS drives with over 550 horses...just to be safe. If the boat is a steal, go with the TRS drives knowing someday you might have to convert to a Bravo. The TRS setup will be a tougher sell for you when you go to dump the boat. Most people don't know anything about a TRS drive or if they do, they do not want to mess with it. Like someone mentioned about the Bravo Drive...they are now a dime a dozen and it is a quick and easy fix.

As long as you know what you are getting are ok. Looks like you are doing your homework. Good luck.

Ps. Had TRS drives on my 91 38 Fountain Fever with the 425HP's. They worked well and shifted great, but I blew them to hell and back when I put the 800 horsepower supercharged engines to them. Man....those things blow gooooood!!!! Turned me into a speedmaster III guy real quick!!!!

Platinum Member Platinum Member buckknekkid's Avatar
    My Boats:
    311 SR1, and a bunch of engines and parts
    OAKVILLE, Ontario

Talking chalk up one for the geriatric crew

exshellent research
    Too Soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast