If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bridgeport, NY
    What is new and what is not new is an easy answer (at least to the honest people).

The bigger question is what defines "Like New" This is the biggest swing of opinions that I have ever seen (or at least where you catch the biggest liars). I have seen both boats and cars advertised as like new that I would consider significantly abused. Then when you approach these people they think you are unrealistic, and state that it is only normal wear and tear.

Quite frankly, I believe that why quite a few people do not get return or follow-up calls on their boats that are for sale. They state the condition as like new and excellent, and then potential buyers are disappointed upon viewing. Instead of being rude (like the person that missadvetised the condition) they just never follow-up. Or they show up early to look at the boat (that way you can see if the owner is making last minute adjustments to hide something), and can blantantly see the condition is not as stated,and they just leave before meeting with the owner.

I have used the term "better than new" when selling an item to clarify that the item is actually like new (or better), and not like other peoples version of what is like new. In other words showroom condition spotless (not out in the lot where 50 people have gotten in and out of the boat in their dirty shoes over the weekend . . . . but that is a whole other situation with a "new" boat.

My Boats:
    one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.
    Traverse City, Michigan
    There is new and everything else. Unfortunately the term buyer beware can be associated with both.

Is a "NEW" motor thats been dyno'd to confirm power and set the rings NEW? If not, there are a lot of high dollar used motors being bought from the "high end" builders. Like others have stated, its all subjective so buyer beware.
    Last edited by jdnca1; 05-14-2003 at 03:12 PM.

Gold Member Gold Member RebarBox's Avatar
    My Boats:
    05' Cobalt 343, 28' Cigarette a.k.a (Bicycle), 91' Ciglett, 08' Tahoe 215, plus some other crap.
    Grove, Oklahoma
    So is it 'New' if it has zero hours but has been sitting on the dealers lot for the last two years, with no cover, plastic or anything; with a foot of snow on it from Dec. thru late Feb.

That what a lot of dealers do in this area and advertize the same boat and 'New' each spring.

I think I would rather have the 'New' boat with 75 hrs and covered!
    'Inez - Get them panties off' Quote - Roy D. Mercer

My Boats:
    54' Searay cockpit motoryacht 36' Concept with t/250s and a 34'Rinker cruiser
    Albany NY
    Brand new to me in boat talk means

BIG PAYMENTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$4$$

Originally posted by lotoparty
    you mean 200 hours isnt new?
    just got this off boatrader.

1990 CIGARETTE TOP GUN 38' ,Powered by Brand New 502's (Less than 200 Hours), Bravos, Beautiful White boat with Teal Graphics. Call Ted
    I guess my boat with 512 hours now can qualify as "almost new"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123