Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cable or Direct TV? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49968-cable-direct-tv.html)

TEAMBAJA 05-14-2003 07:04 PM

I have directv. Mom has cable and the quality sucks.

Im currently looking for a T.V. for around $1000-$1200.

Anyone seen the 36' Sony Trinitron? Thats what Im leaning toward. I seen some 52' TVs for the same price, but the picture sucks!

PhantomChaos 05-14-2003 07:14 PM

Rabbit Ears :)

GO4BROKE 05-14-2003 07:25 PM

Sweet Troutly! The tv over the fireplace is the only set up that will work in the new house I'm designing, such a shame!!:D

Oh, by the way..DirecTv, cable for internet, antenna for the locals.

gdfatha 05-14-2003 07:28 PM

Troutly..

-Nice set up

-Nizza security blankee on the chair

-What's the green/blue thing next to the right speakers.

:rolleyes:

BLOWN 1100 05-14-2003 07:30 PM

Direct TV only way to go. I have it at home, motor home, office and shop.

Zyzzyx2123 05-14-2003 09:05 PM

Cable all the way!!! I am saving about $60/month including adding cable intertnet. There ain't ****t on HBO or showtime that I am willing to pay anythng for. Besides after the ****t that Dishnetwork pulled on us, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I'd use rabbit ears and tin foil before going back to them. All I gotta say is watch your bill close and hope nothing goes wrong with your equipment!!!

97BossHammer 05-15-2003 07:28 AM

Well I think we're gonna go with Direct TV. They say you can get a 2 room hookup with 110 channels for $40, not too bad. I'm paying $44/month just for basic cable now with about 60 channels. I don't know if direct tv makes you sign up for 1/yr or whatever but if so forget it. Other then that.....I think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the replys dudes.

Audiofn 05-15-2003 10:22 AM

Hammer: First I would look at the channels that you are going to get and make sure that they are the ones that you want. Typically sat service will run you a couple bucks less each month, so if you can get the channels that are what you watch there is a savings there.

Service is another issue. With any sat set up you are kind of on your own. So you need to either have a competent installer or you may want to get the service contract. As long as you dish is aimed properly you WILL NOT have drop outs. Have you looked to see if you can get the aim out of your property? They look at three Sats now so keep in mind that they will need a clear shot out with no obstructions. Of course with Cable they will give you the old we will be there from 8-12 so hang tight and we will try and get to you. This can be the same with Dish unless you hire a guy like me and then I can give you a specific time. However that of course comes at a cost.

Picture Quality: With cable it is a joke. Plain and simple. They offer 230-280 lines of resolution. The Digital cable is even worse because of compresion that they do and thier compresion circuits SUCK. Basically the number of channels are more important to the cable company then the quaility of image, so they hit ya with a bunch of channels in the band width that there should only be one. Now they are claiming HDTV over Cable. Again a lie. First off I have yet to see one actually work. Second again to get it to work they had to compress the image. Compresion with audio works to a degree but with video it is a very bad thing unless you have expensive stuff. Sat will give you picture quality almost that of a DVD Player and true digital sound. There will be no ground plane issues with sat either like you can get with Cable some times with larger systems.

Hope all that helps

Jon

jr 05-15-2003 10:33 AM

Audio, is the compression the reason why sometimes with dark screens, or scenes you can sometimes see the pixels? What about weather, do you get the same quality?

97BossHammer 05-15-2003 01:13 PM

There are a number of houses around me with Dish or Direct TV so I should be ok as far as signal goes. I just called and they'll give me 2 recievers and free hook up for $38/month with 1yr contract, I get locals too. Thats not too bad. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it. The channels are about the same...the only thing I don't see is TNN which is a shame due to all the car shows I like to watch. But in return I'll get speedvision so I guess it evens out.