Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp? >

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Notices

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Old 05-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Getting close to buying a truck. Think I may have to give up the 4 whl drive option and help save some money for a monthly payment. However, I'm getting a diesel

I've never had to use 4 whl drive before and I've been on some serious steep inclines too. I'm towing 7,000 lbs now, but who knows how much more in the future... I can't see myself bigger than a 30' with twin inboards. I know the truck can handle 22,000 lbs that is not in question.

I'm asking you how often if ever have you had to use 4 whl drive to get out of the water towing your boat?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

My little bayliner is only about 3500lbs on the trailer but sometimes the ramps are slick and a little 4WD makes it simple...

Plus this little 4.3 Blazer really likes 4Lo in the grass.....kinda tight backing this thing beside my house....not to mention tearing the sand up...Errrrr......I mean grass....
Old 05-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Registered

I use it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.

Good luck.

Shane
Old 05-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

We use it every time we pull the boat out. If we don't have it in 4 wheel drive the tires spin.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:42 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Shane
I use it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.

Good luck.

Shane
My wife uses it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.
Good luck.

GLH
I'm usually in the boat. Thanks Shane didn't have to type everything.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Yeah, get the 4WD. It is sooo worth the payment that one time when you say, "damn, I wish I had 4WD" to get out of a jam. I had an S-10 Blazer, that I pulled PWC with. I used the 4WD occaisionally on sand and gravel when launching the PWCs. However, the 4WD shift mechanism, (vacuum line) went out on me once in a snowstorm, and I might as well parked that truck and taken my skateboard.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Registered

Geez, maybe I should wait until next year I am surprised some of you use the 4 whl drive option as much as you do.

I have never spent the tires on my Yukon in 2 whl drive pulling my 272 Baja out of the water Nice and easy is the way I do it. Just push the gas enough to get it rolling and keep it that way. I do have 4 whl drive too with this Yukon.

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 05-14-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Registered

If you do have a 4x4, make the decision whether to use it or not while still on level ground. Engaging the 4x4 can be difficult on the ramp under a load.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use it alot, dont scimp its worth it!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

I've found it really helpfull because I put in at a ramp in the harbor where the water level goes up and down a couple of feet depending on the wind so sometimes your tires are in the nasty green stuff.Everyone who's ever biffed in that stuff and bashed your legs on the trailer knows its gotta be the most slippery thing on earth, so 4wd is a must for me.

Quick Reply: Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.