Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Andy at NAPA, you suck!!!  Obsolete my a$$!!!!!! >

Andy at NAPA, you suck!!! Obsolete my a$$!!!!!!

Notices

Andy at NAPA, you suck!!! Obsolete my a$$!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Andy at NAPA, you suck!!! Obsolete my a$$!!!!!!

Went to Napa to get some simple stuff. Rear main seal, oil pan gasket, water circulator pump gasket, and timing cover gasket. Simple stuff. Mark 4 block 454. I have done this a million times (well, I've had it apart 4 times over the years, but you get the picture). I have simply told them it's a 1987 Chevy 3/4 ton C/K pickup 454. Never had an issue. Never went to Napa to get them though. Chick behind the counter a week ago sells me what I believe to be the right parts. $50 worth!!! Go to put them in the block tonight, TOO SMALL!!! She sold me small block parts!!!! Dammit!!! So, I head off to the main Napa wharehouse in Grand Rapids. Andy tells me that all the parts I need are obsolete. WTF???? I told him I have gotten these exact parts many times. He breaks out the Marine book. Obsolete. Then he tells me the truck parts and the marine parts are different. WTF??? Idiot. Give me my focking money back!!!!

Drove into Pep Boys, walked out 10 minutes later with all the parts I needed. Under $40. Andy, get a clue!!!!! And they were a LOT nicer at Pep Boys. Friendly. Not know-it-alls. I will gaurentee I know more about chevy big blocks than that idiot Andy.

Oh, and I nearly hit a dear on the way there. Glad he had good brakes!!!

'Foul
Old 05-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went into PepBoys a few years ago and asked for a particular spark plug number. Well, the kid behind the counter couldn't just give me the plugs...he had to know the application
Ok ,time to F... with him Told him it was a 540 Ford. Well , he couldn't find it , duh. So next question "what year"? 1999. Finally after about 15 minutes and not being able to find it , I told him it was a boat and just give me the plugs. Well all that and he didn't have them anyway
I never had the opportunity to tell him it had TrickFlow heads too
I know NAPA has a lotta stuff. And what they don't have , they at least have access to. Nearly all the bolt on accesories on my 540's came from NAPA.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate going to auto parts places for my boat motor parts. Seems most of the counter guys at the universal stores(Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc) have to have a car yr, make, and model to put in computer in order to look up parts. If I say a boat, they are lost! I once just wanted a plain standard coil that GM has used for 50 yrs. They had no idea! I had to tell them to give me one for a '72 Nova, Camero, Vette, SBC, BBC.....what ever!!!!!
Luckily I found a GM/Delco auto store that has the marine cateloge and know what they are doing.

Best counter guy is the one that has been around for a LONG, LONG time and only needs to know what motor. He is the one that can just walk to the shelves and pull the part w/o having to look it up. He's also the guy that doesn't have a computer for parts look up.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to own one the the 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans am's with the 3.8 GNX buick motor in it . Try telling a strapper at Pepboys you have that car, They look at you like what? a 3.8 turbo in a trans am??? It's not in the records since they only made 1500 cars the guy tells me. So I had to buy my own manuals and buy everything from the expensive dealerships!

Oh and when I had my OJ full size Bronco I can NOT tell you how many times they sold me parts for a bronco2 the mini truck!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Allan4

Just went thru this on Sunday at Autozone with a guy who looked like he just stepped out of a "Starsky and Hutch" re-run.

I needed Exh gaskets. Pretty simple....I tell him, I need FelPro exh gaskets for a BBC. He says what year and all the normal bs, and I tell him, just pull them for a 90's 454, I will tell you if they are correct by looking at them. Before you know it, he is pounding away on his keyboard in the Cadillac section trying to find a 502ci part number. The entire time I am telling him (as he is looking thru the 1960's and 70's and so on) to just go pull out 2 pair for me to examine. Well, after, no crap, about 5 minutes of this and me losing my patience, he finally prints out a listing number for a 90's something 454 and calls some other guy over to walk 8 feet to the shelves and pull them out. Ofcourse, they only have one pair....and yes they were the correct ones.

About this time I am ready to drag his skinny ass over the counter by the neck and take him down to the ball pinged hammer section and put a few lumps in his skull for effect....

So, I leave and go down to Pep boys and am in and out in about 3 minutes, correct part in hand. I learned my lesson. I usually go to Napa by my house, but it was Sunday Eve......

Old 05-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Hustler 26

The really sad thing is that it is almost just as bad trying to get automotive parts. It seems that some companies go out of their way to hire people who aren't sure what a car is. I'm in the automotive repair end and I'll tell you sometimes it is real frightening.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the guys that tell me that they don't make a 502.
It is a bored 454.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Registered

Yeah, PepBoys needs to know the app.
I tell them its a 70 LS-6 Chevelle SS....it works.
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

All I wanted was some friggin gaskets!!!!!

I think next time I'll tell Andy I have a 468 ci GM motor and see what he says. Idiot.
Registered

Me- I need a set of alternator brushes for a ......

Autozone parts guy- What that is, like a hair brush????

Quick Reply: Andy at NAPA, you suck!!! Obsolete my a$$!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.