Motorhead heaven: Reno Air Races

Notices

Motorhead heaven: Reno Air Races

Old 05-17-2003, 07:13 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Motorhead heaven: Reno Air Races

If you want to see the fastest piston powered machines in the world with men with serious nads at the controls.You gotta go to Reno to see em. Just ordered my box seat tickets. this will be my 5th yr there.Don't get me wrong I love the sound of twin 502's at full throttle,

but Reno is a spectacle that I know most of us on this board would dig.

The unlimited class is definitly the highlight. They are pushing 4,000 hp and exceeding 520mph in the straights. These planes were never designed to do this when they were built 60 years ago. They use water injection, nitrous, radiator spray bars to get the power. Then they clip the wings, fill and sand the exterior, etc. etc. There is usually lots of mechanical carnage. These guys usually fund their own planes, so they don't change engines between races. This engine got them to Reno, they race it, then hopefully it will fly them home. The radials don't usually grenade, but the v-12's do. You're talking rods on the ground when cowling comes off. here are some good reading and pics

www.rarebear.com
www.pylon1.com

I don't think the unlimiteds will be there too many more years, so If you want to see them, you should just do it.

I went once, haven't missed one since!

Steve H

Last edited by Steve H; 05-17-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way cool stuff. Very high on my to-do list!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing compares to Reno, definately a must do. I still can't decide if I like a 3300 CI double row radials, or the V12 Merlins/Packards. Both sound awesome, but totally different.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:55 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are talking about the Wright R-3350. It was designed for transport use, but a few guys have them squeezed into old fighter planes. The attached pic is a 3350 being re installed in the Rare Bear. This Racer has been around for many years. It is probably the most modified plane you will see. I think it still holds the closed course world record of 528 mph. Also time to climb world record. 3000 meters in 91 seconds. thats from take off, probably close to going straight up. these planes are hitting these speeds at 50 nor 60 feet off the ground. I can't think of a sport more dangerous. I personally have witnessed two fatal accidents. Usually the pilots come and go, but the planes stay. you will see more talk about the planes than the pilots.