Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fort Meyers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50309-fort-meyers.html)

ScottB 05-18-2003 09:01 PM

Fort Meyers

Anyone have any info on Fort Meyers race.
I am particularly interested in how my buds did.
Wazzup and Vixen

misha 05-18-2003 10:59 PM

Credit to the "Naples Daily News"

Offshore racing: Barcardi Silver earns top honors at Fort Myers Beach race

By ANDY KENT

FORT MYERS BEACH — There wasn't much drama to be had Sunday afternoon on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. But that didn't seem to matter to the sizeable crowd that turned out for the Super Boat International Fort Myers Beach Offshore Grand Prix.

Sunny skies and the inimitable sound of powerful motors throttling up on the 6.5-mile loop course seemed all that was necessary to satisfy anybody watching.

Both those standing on the shore and as part of a spectator fleet of boats offshore estimated at close to 1,000 witnessed Bacardi Silver win the overall race and Superboat Unlimited Class. The 46-foot Skater driven by Steve Wallace with W. David Scott on throttles finished in one hour, four minutes at an average speed of 103.11 miles per hour.

The closest race came in the Superboat Vee Class, where Muscle, driven by Sarasota emergency room physician Bruce Kruglick, edged Shock Wave, driven by Rich Troppoli of Toms River, N.J. The margin of victory was just 57 seconds (1:11.02 to 1:11.59), with Muscle averaging 93.34 mph to Shock Wave's 92.10. Muscle is the reigning SBI world and national champion in its classification.

But the smallest field in the nine-year history of the event did take a quite a bit of excitement out of the competition. A mere 19 boats made it to the starting line in front of the Diamond Head Beach Resort — less than half of the number expected to compete — and five of the nine classifications wound up with only one entry. Bacardi Silver fell into that category when Pier 57 Fountain had to pull out before ever reaching the milling area.

"That was real, real unfortunate. We've got some really serious boats that compete in this class and it was disappointing," said Scott out of Edwardsville, Ill. "A lot of the boats in our class still are trying to get their boats ready, and Pier 57, we loaned them some parts to try to help them get their boat fixed but it didn't work out."

The drastic reduction in competing boats forced race officials with SBI to change the start format from two separate races to one 12:30 p.m. staggered start (the nine bigger and faster boats went off first, followed one minute later by the smaller boats).

Local event organizer Dean Clausen said 12 boats that raced Saturday in Marathon (an APBA race) and were expected to compete Sunday were among those lost to the field. He said a few had engine problems or other malfunctions that forced them to pull out, and the others arrived too late for the drivers safety meeting, making them ineligible to race.
I'm disappointed but what are you going to do?" Clausen said.

"I'd rather race with many more boats. The more boats the more fun it is, and it's a shame but they're working on it," said Sarasota's Denis Bilodeau, throttleman for Pitman Photo, which won the Divisional 5 Class.

Fort Myers Beach Mayor Daniel Hughes characterized the event as "the best Grand Prix we've had I think. Between the air show and the races I thought it was terrific."

Hughes said he really liked the concept of having the air show one day and the races the next day. He said it makes for a really good combination. He witnessed the weather shorten the second day of races last year, and thought the switch to a one-day format was better.

"I don't think whether there are 19 or 29 boats makes a lot of difference," Hughes said. "The people are here to see the boats and see the races and have a good time, and that's what they're doing."

Clausen said he plans on putting together a better event next year and hopes to be able to promote a larger field of boats once again. This was the second race on the SBI circuit for 2003, with seven more to go.

SBI Fort Myers Beach Offshore Grand Prix

Distance: 17 laps (110.5 miles)

Superboat Unlimited (class, driver, hometown, avg. speed/mph): 1. Bacardi Silver, Steve Wallace, Lake of the Ozark, Mo., 103.11;

Superboat Vee: 1. Muscle, Bruce Kruglick, Sarasota, 93.34, 2. Shock Wave, Rich Troppoli, Toms River, N.J., 92.10, 3. Firewater, Bob Oliver, King of Prussia, Pa., 90.53, 4. The Switch, Curt Watkins, Ft. Lauderdale, 89.38 (16 laps) 5. Instigator, Joe Sero, Bellmore, N.Y., 95.18 (7 laps);

Superboat Vee Unlimited: 1. Don't Blink, Douglas Sutherland, Sarasota, 45.20 (3 laps);

Superboat Limited: 1. Rumor Has It, Robert Nunziato, Boca Raton, 88.64 (2 laps);

Super Stock: 1. Berry Cuda, Wes Enlow, Sunrise Beach, Mo., 84.76 (12 laps) 2. SeaTow, Gary Ballough, Boca Raton, 83.92 (12 laps); 3. Oceans 234, Alex Cantalupo, Deerfield Beach, 84.39 (11 laps), 4. Deep V Catamarans, Steve Quick, Chicago, Ill., 84.00 (7 laps);

Manufacturer 2: 1. Fountain, Reggie Fountain III, Greenville, N.C., 84.01 (11 laps);

Manufacturer 1: Xtreme Racing, Scott O'Connor, Melbourne, 65.47 (7 laps);

Divisional 3: 1. Wazzup, Edward Smith, Brick, N.J., 80.49 (7 laps) 2. Outlaw, Kevin Erem, Elizabeth, N.J., 80.18 (7 laps);

Divisional 5: 1. Pitman Photo, Edward Tamberino, Englewood, 67.69 (7 laps); 2. Carraba's Team Blythe, Todd Blythe, Doylestown, Pa., 54.31 (7 laps) 3. Potts Sports Cafe, Ken Kasten, Sanibel Island, 65.79 (6 laps).

DanB 05-19-2003 07:25 AM

They didnt let the guys who drove over from Marathon Race???????????????????????????
That sucks big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Dan
F1-83 Screamin Eagle

DARREN US1 05-19-2003 08:14 AM

WELL LET'S SEE WAZZUP WENT TO MARATHON AND RACED THERE AND IN FT MYERS. ALSO OUTLAW RAN THE TWO RACES.

BODYSHOT1 05-19-2003 09:37 AM

19 Boats???

ouch!

Mag27 05-19-2003 11:51 AM

Hey Scott B,had boat repowerd and running 2am Sunday morning,waiting on new drive to arrive at 7am Between physicals and drivers meeting we get it in water 45 min.before race,,made it.Then we find out cones slipping,end of race. MEL

BODYSHOT1 05-19-2003 12:08 PM

Mel...

..sorry to hear that you guys had such a tough weekend! Hope you had the chance to catch up with Augie & the guyz...

thanks again for joining us @ Jimmy's, Wednesday....Mike & I really appreciated it...

Marty

:cool:

Panther 05-21-2003 06:31 PM

I was at the race. Not such a great turn out.

Does anyone know why both of the Pier 57's never started the race? They test drove one on saturday, and again sunday morning. Did they blow a motor testing? They had two Scism cats there and neither one of them started.

It would have been nice to see some more competition. Super V had the only real competition.

BTW, Wazzup ran an excellent race. Good job guys, and congrats!

Flyinbrian 05-21-2003 06:48 PM

Panther-
I was there too. Agreed on the turnout.
The Friday evening parade was kind of a let down too.

That was too bad, because it looked like there was one hell of a crowd on hand to watch a parade on Friday and some racing on Sunday.
On my way to the beach before the race, I saw the yellow SCISM heading back to the dry pits when he should have been in the water.
Kind of confusing, because like you said, they had two boats there. Neither one of them was racing.

KiloKat 05-22-2003 08:09 AM

They lost a blower belt on one engine. I loaned them all of the belts/pulleys that we had in the rig but none fit their setup. The other boat wasn't ready to race. Very unfortunate for everyone - especially Dave Woods!