Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL!!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say Hi to Rags for me!

Cuda: OPBA get-together on Sun, remember!

FeverMike: Shell Isl. IS too crowded.

Have fun.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

Todd~ Are you reading this thread???
Look @ what you'll have to look forward too...WEEK NIGHT BOATING YEAR ROUND!!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

Kitten, I talked to him on the phone this afternoon, and will tell him hello for you. Where is the Opba meeting? At Starfest?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK who is going to be around this weekend over in the S. Pete Tampa area? I am lookin at going over(OK so I AM) and wanna head over to shell island(or any other really cool place to hang out) and wanna hook up with some people. A friend of mine might be joing me as well with his scarab... so... Whats the Dealio for the weekend?

Call me, email me, PM me... Just leeme know!

Cell 407-463-9664
[email protected] (put in header like Tampa boaters or something I get lots of spam)

Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would be great to have you guys out this weekend. Be prepared though, it is a big holiday weekend! All the loonies will be out and many will be practicing their launching skills for the first time this year....

Mike,
Right on! Shell sucks...Nice island, good location but too scary.

If I happen to get out, it will probably be at Eggmont and/or Starfest.

See'y'all...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would need directions to eggmont from somewhere(not even sure where I am launching yet!).... Sounds like that is the better place to go. Help!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Registered

Chris~
I'm not sure where your going to be putting your boat in either. We put in @ Davis Island and it took about 30 min. to get to Eggmont from there. I'll try to find a map for you. But, here's a pic of what Eggmont looks like...(Crap...I can't post pics...I'll switch over too Todd's log-in-name)
Old 05-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Eggmont Key...
Attached Thumbnails St. Pete Beach OSO Gathering Tuesday...-eggmont-key.jpg  
Old 05-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmmmm...can't seem too find anything specific...perhaps Cuda will be able too help you.
Here's some history on the Island though (if your interested) and they have trail you can walk through, but you'd probably want to have some shoes.

In the 1830's, as shipping increased, so did the number of ships that were grounded on the numerous sandbars around Egmont Key. On March 3, 1847, Congress authorized funds to construct a lighthouse on Egmont. The construction was completed in May,1848. Once completed, it was the only lighthouse between St. Marks and Key West. When the Great Hurricane of 1848 struck, tides 15 feet above normal washed over the island and damaged the light. Another storm in 1852 did additional damage and prompted Congress to appropriate funds to rebuild the lighthouse and lightkeeper's residence.

At the end of the third Seminole War in 1858, Egmont Key was used by the U.S. Army to detain Seminole prisoners until they could be transported to Arkansas Territory.

In 1858, the lighthouse was reconstructed to "withstand any storm." The new tower is 87 feet high with an Argard kerosene lamp and fixed Fresnel lens. Confederate troops occupied the island when the Civil War began. Realizing they could not defend their position, the Confederates evacuated Egmont, taking with them the Fresnel lens from the tower. The Union navy used Egmont to operate their Gulf Coast blockade of the Confederacy. Union troops raided Tampa in an unsuccessful effort to locate the missing lens.

The lighthouse returned to normal operation at the end of the war. After the Civil War, the lightkeeper, his assistant and their families were the principal residents of the island from 1866 to 1898.

Fort Dade was established on Egmont Key when the Spanish-American War was imminent. When construction was completed in 1906, Fort Dade was a small city of 300 residents with electricity, telephones, movie theater, bowling alley, tennis courts, hospital and a jail. The fort was deactivated in 1923.

The Tampa Bay Pilots Association, established in 1886, set up operations on the island in 1926. When ships approach Tampa Bay, a pilot boards the vessel in the main channel and directs the ship to the docks. As the vessel leaves the dock the pilot guides it out and returns to Egmont Key on one of the pilot boats. The work of the pilots helps to protect the Bay from environmental damage that would result from grounding and/or collisions.

Present Day
In 1939, the Lighthouse Service was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard, which has maintained the light as well as radio guidance equipment. The Key was designated a National Wildlife Refuge in 1974, managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Due to staffing limitations and increased public visits, the Wildlife Service was unable to protect the resources on its own. When the Coast Guard automated the light, Coast Guard personnel were reassigned. The Florida Park Service began operations at Egmont Key on October 1, 1989, as part of a co-management agreement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
(Tracy)

Quick Reply: St. Pete Beach OSO Gathering Tuesday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.