Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   St. Pete Beach OSO Gathering Tuesday... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50389-st-pete-beach-oso-gathering-tuesday.html)

CigDaze 05-21-2003 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick and dirty chart of the area.
Chris,
The red dot on Eggmont is where everyone usually ahchors up. It's the calm side. Just be forewarned, it's not like Shell, you can't beach your boat there...The good thing is that it's a lot more tame.

But if it's a party that you want, Shell is still the place....

I just don't feel like rubbercoating my entire boat for when the dumbfukk drunks smack into it, and I don't feel like losing another $100 fortress anchor because some jackazz ran across my anchor line, and I really don't want to be smelling some cocaine whore's puke-breath when she decides to stagger by, and I don't want to jeopardize any limbs trying to ward off some other azzhole while he tries to unwrap his anchor from his prop, while the other drunk puts it in gear and the boat lunges towards me(Remember that one, Mike?), and I don't really care for fighting a 15 knot wind, a stiff tidal current through a 15' wide channel that's only 3' deep in the center while some stupid motherfukker decides that now is a good time to start banging his old lady in the middle of aforementioned narrow and shallow channel, and on and on.............................

[Personal experiences]

CigDaze 05-21-2003 12:16 PM

Tracy,
Thanks a million for the info. It's neat to learn a little more about it. :)

ChrisK 05-21-2003 03:31 PM

Thanks for the history lesson as well as the map.... My brother lives in St. Pete on 34 ave(I think)... So I need to ask him where the closest launch is. Looks like I will be going to eggmont instead... I am not up for the "protect my boat from the morons"... And I really dont want to fight my way into the channel.... Soooo... Looks like I will be hitting there...

Thanks again for the information.

Chris

CigDaze 05-21-2003 03:37 PM

Great! I hope to see you out there!

I would try Demon's Landing in downtown St. Pete.

I have a feeling Ft. DeSoto might be a nightmare.

There's also a very nice little boat launch(unbeknownst to many people) off of 40th ave in St. Pete. You just have to get there early as the parking lot can fill up quickly.

kitten 05-21-2003 08:41 PM

Originally posted by cuda
Where is the Opba meeting? At Starfest?

OPBA info under "Boat Clubs" at the bottom of Forums. :chick:

cuda 05-21-2003 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Here's a quick and dirty chart of the area.
Chris,
The red dot on Eggmont is where everyone usually ahchors up. It's the calm side. Just be forewarned, it's not like Shell, you can't beach your boat there...The good thing is that it's a lot more tame.

But if it's a party that you want, Shell is still the place....

I just don't feel like rubbercoating my entire boat for when the dumbfukk drunks smack into it, and I don't feel like losing another $100 fortress anchor because some jackazz ran across my anchor line, and I really don't want to be smelling some cocaine whore's puke-breath when she decides to stagger by, and I don't want to jeopardize any limbs trying to ward off some other azzhole while he tries to unwrap his anchor from his prop, while the other drunk puts it in gear and the boat lunges towards me(Remember that one, Mike?), and I don't really care for fighting a 15 knot wind, a stiff tidal current through a 15' wide channel that's only 3' deep in the center while some stupid motherfukker decides that now is a good time to start banging his old lady in the middle of aforementioned narrow and shallow channel, and on and on.............................

[Personal experiences]

Damn Nick, how do you really feel about it!?:D

As a matter of fact, there is a boat launch at the end of 34th ave on the bay side at Poplar Ave. Just head east as far as you can go, and on the left near the end you will see the boat launch. It is called Crist Park. There are very few parking spots, and you can't park on the street there.

We are still undecide whether we are going out or not. Also my boat is down having a full cover made, and not sure if he will be done by Friday.

CigDaze 05-22-2003 07:08 AM

Hey Cuda,
Yep, a typical day at shell key...It's changed a lot in the past 3 years! :(

Chris Park! That's the one...

I couldn't remember the name or Poplar, but I was referring to the same one. I take 38th(Changes to 40th) to poplar to get there!

ChrisK 05-22-2003 08:03 AM

I think the 34th ave one will work... how good of a launch is it? My boat is only a 24 footer... but ya know how those things are.... That is right down the road from my brothers.. So, worst case is that i launch and go to his place to park and then get a ride back.....

cuda 05-22-2003 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple pics from Tuesday at Undertow.

From left Johno (John), Cuda(Joe), Ragtop 409 (Charlie)

cuda 05-22-2003 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Baja Daze (Nick) and Jeff (Jeff):)